Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Hi there!
Beautiful fish and excellent photos. Here are a couple (not as good) of my own Prochi - Lower pic at ~2.5" (Dec 2017), upper at ~10" (last April).
Super friendly, tame, eats from my hand and loves his (hers?) food and water changes.
Cheers!
Thx for comments FJB and that's also a beautiful Flagtail you have there (and I'm sure mine would be jealous of that really nice planted tank yours has).

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
WOW. I can’t believe how fast they have grown!!

I wonder if there are certain dwarf species of ft? I picked mine up about 10 months ago and it has only grown an inch at most. I also acquired 2 others of a very similar size that are apparently a few years old. All 3 are roughly 3-4”.

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
WOW. I can’t believe how fast they have grown!!

I wonder if there are certain dwarf species of ft? I picked mine up about 10 months ago and it has only grown an inch at most. I also acquired 2 others of a very similar size that are apparently a few years old. All 3 are roughly 3-4”.
Yeah Matthew they're both in the middle of growth spurts now (in fact recently even more noticeable with the NTT, who has nearly doubled in size the last few months especially). That said I wouldn't be surprised if this growth slows down after they're about 10". Here's the Flagtail when I first got him about 8 months ago (about 4"):

But as this is the first time I've kept both fish I can't really say if their growth rate is normal or whether yours is (but only an inch in 10 mos. does sound pretty slow for a young Flagtail). There are (some, not many) short body Flagtails, but I've personally never heard of dwarf FT's.

Btw, just curious what are your FT's eating and what's water temp?

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Typically nls Thera +A , Sera imunpro, zucchini, brine shrimp, blood worms, cobalt algae grazers, typical grazing on plastic plants- had to remove a few because they got so mangled. Lol. 78 degrees

I just re read viktors thread about his fts and it seems as if there are types that do not grow as large which makes sense to me now. It is hard to find good info on them but there was a great article posted by sunnysjourney that shed a bit of light. Makes me feel a bit better knowing that it’s not my fault they aren’t growing as fast as yours. Lol

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Typically nls Thera +A , Sera imunpro, zucchini, brine shrimp, blood worms, cobalt algae grazers, typical grazing on plastic plants- had to remove a few because they got so mangled. Lol. 78 degrees

I just re read viktors thread about his fts and it seems as if there are types that do not grow as large which makes sense to me now. It is hard to find good info on them but there was a great article posted by sunnysjourney that shed a bit of light. Makes me feel a bit better knowing that it’s not my fault they aren’t growing as fast as yours. Lol
Yeah I saw that post too, good info -- so then yours must be yellow fin, not red fin? I wish I could give such variety to my Flagtail, but he won't eat any vegetables I've tried so far. He'll eat just about any sinking pellet, but clearly prefers Hikari Sinking Carnivore -- lol maybe that's why he's growing so fast (but likewise that much protein might not be good for him long-term, I really need to get him on more veggies or at least more Hikari Algae Wafers and less HSC. That said he keeps the tank clean of natural algae.

Another factor might be compared to your 78, all my tanks run about 83 average year round. Higher temps = higher metabolism = hungry fish -- but this too might have long-term consequences regarding life span, I'm not sure.

Reactions: Matteus

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
There is a few species of the semiprochilodus genus. Most of the flagtails that comes to europe is S. Insignis and they dont grow as fast as S. Taeniurus and is easy to id when larges as taeniurus still keeps its spot on the body and insignis looses its spots.
Then youve got semaprochilodus laticeps wich grows largen then the other two species ive mentioned.

Ive got an taeniurus that have grown from 3cm to 17cm in 1.5 year.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store