twhittle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Clarkston, Wa
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
My uaru developed a bulge in his cheek that evolved to this. I have him in a hospital tank. Should I be treating him for a bacteria? Any thoughts on what this is and how to treat?

20210509_174801.jpg

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Gross. Almost looks like a bite from another fish. kno4te kno4te

Reactions: Bbuckley

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Mouth looks diseased too. I’d suspect columnaris. Dose some kanamycin and furan2. Keep it temps in the low 70s. Add some salt 1 tsp per g. Don’t look too good unfortunately. Have hard water? Check ur water parameters.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Mouth looks diseased too. I’d suspect columnaris. Dose some kanamycin and furan2. Keep it temps in the low 70s. Add some salt 1 tsp per g. Don’t look too good unfortunately. Have hard water? Check ur water parameters.
If it is columnaris, will the bacteria hang around in the tank? Is it just the fish that is showing visible signs that needs to be treated, or the whole system?

I just recently had a go with columnaris and got it under wraps, but then more recently lost another fish to it. turns out you need to dip your nets and clean your equipment or it can spread. My whole system was treated at the time of the original infection but now I am concerned about treating all of my systems now that I can’t get a hold of bifuran any more.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
If it is columnaris, will the bacteria hang around in the tank? Is it just the fish that is showing visible signs that needs to be treated, or the whole system?

I just recently had a go with columnaris and got it under wraps, but then more recently lost another fish to it. turns out you need to dip your nets and clean your equipment or it can spread. My whole system was treated at the time of the original infection but now I am concerned about treating all of my systems now that I can’t get a hold of bifuran any more.
It’s in the tank and even in fish. Can carry without being sick. Just at low levels and kept under control by the fish’s immune system. So the goal wouldn’t be to eradicate it. More like keep fish healthy by keeping the right water if a water sensitive fish, large enough tank size, tank is cycled and nitrates are less then 20ppm, if stressed then remove fish or give appropriate food etc. Even a combination of these things.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
It’s in the tank and even in fish. Can carry without being sick. Just at low levels and kept under control by the fish’s immune system. So the goal wouldn’t be to eradicate it. More like keep fish healthy by keeping the right water if a water sensitive fish, large enough tank size, tank is cycled and nitrates are less then 20ppm, if stressed then remove fish or give appropriate food etc. Even a combination of these things.
Are rays susceptible to it. I know they don’t get ich so I am hoping not ...

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Are rays susceptible to it. I know they don’t get ich so I am hoping not ...
Don’t know but never seen any rays with it. I imagine rays could be susceptible if sick enough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store