Flooded/soaked carpet

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Man i forgot the tank was filling. Carpet is soaked. Is there anyway around having to tear down the tank and rip out the carpet ?

20171217_163439.jpg

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; It depends. Is there a foam pad under the carpet? You can pull up a floor register and sometimes see the carpet edge and a pad. If there is, and this is common under wall to wall carpet, that is where the problem can be. Water gets under the padding and stays a long time.
Another thing is it looks like the sump's flat bottom is directly under the carpet. That is where the wet will stay the longest. If you have a good wet/dry shop vac run it a bunch of times. Do you have a dehumidifier? Set up a window fan to blow across the area for a few weeks.

Don't know what those professional clean up crews charge.

The problems are at least two. One is the likely hood of mold. Another is damage to the floor if it is wood.

I wanted my tanks in the living area of my current home which had wall to wall carpet. I spent a summer replacing the carpet with commercial type vinyl tile. A bit of work and some expense but I installed carpet long enough to know I do not want tanks on carpet.

Good luck.

Reactions: Dee eng

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Can't count on two hands how many times I've done that over the years.
Because I didn't have any carpets, I let things go a bit after a few incidents, and before I could sell my house I had to replace flooring, some base boards, and have the walls remediated.
One thing I found that helped, was to get stop/float valves used in horse troughs to allow and stop water from entering, they are not 100%, but I always added water to my sumps, and the red float would push and close when the sump (or tank) was full, and the pipes would start a loud water hammer sound making me aware of my forgetfulness.
A very good $12-$15 investment.
[/URL[URL=http://s70.photobucket.com/user/dstuer/media/equipment/valves/floatvalves/IMG_4888_zpsce2e70ad.jpg.html]
I got them at farm supply stores, and they are easily moved from tank to tank, on a long python type hose.
[/URL]

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I do have dehumidifiers but there is padding under the carpet. Ugh im going to have to rip it out and move the tank. Its the only way to completely dry it.

I think i need a break from the hobby. This is the 2nd time ibe done this. To me it tells me my heart isnt into right now

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Your steel stand looks very stought. You might be able to lift it up with 4 blocks on the corners. Then lift the sump, with blocks, so air can circulate.
20170705_140015.jpgWater proof, rubber backed commercial carpet tiles. They use an adhesive sticker on the corners, which makes them easy to remove, take out side and dry, or power wash.

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
Take the tear down opportunity to put a rubber catch basin underneath your tank. You’re not the only one, I’ve done it too many times now mainly because I worked the night before and fell asleep as it filled.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Just shop-vac it out and then run the dehumidifier.
I would NOT tear out anything, if this was my tank. Matter of fact, I never have.

Sorry to hear man, this always sucks.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I was soaked man god knows how long the water was running. I completely lost right now dont know what to do.

20171217_193815.jpg 20171217_193809.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store