Floor heating indoor pond

Peckoltia

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
Hi

Looking to set up an indoor pond/pool. Looking at large circular aquaculture 'tanks' which are more or less above ground free standing circular plastic pools. This will be used to house my rays that are quickly outgrowing my 8x3x2.5.

The pond I am looking at is 2.7m (9') in diameter and holds 5,000 liters (~1,300 gallons). Filtration is no real issue as I have always made my own, my question is more around heating.

The pond will be in the garage on a concrete slab. I am also a reptile keeper and have made my own racks, part of this has been to route wood and place a head chord in the routing and cover with aluminium tape and attach to a thermostat. I was thinking this may be a viable option with helping to heat the pond. Create a large wooden slab for the pond to sit on and route grooves in the wood, and run some heat chord through the grooves and cover with aluminium tape to create a heat sink. Could pretty much do the entire floor with about 300watts of heat cabling. My main issue would be sealing the wood sufficiently and protecting the heat chord as it is not made for getting wet with any spills.

Like I said this would not be the main source of heating and would rather be negating any loss through the concrete floor and instead add some heat to an area that would other wise be sucking heat from the system?

Anyone tried anything similar?

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
Good idea, but like you said a fair amount of hassle and work.

If it's mainly the heatloss your concerned about why not just sit pond on a 2" thick polystyrene house insulation boards?

Or alternatively consider a section under pond with in floor heating using a hot water loop, similar to that of joeys 2000gal tank

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
I am currently raising the room temp using propane to keep the pond heatera from running all the time. I get propane super cheap.

My next move is honna be to get an on demand propane water heater and use it to run hot water through copper pipe and warm my sump/tank water that way.

The room heater was cheaper and a faster solution so i did that 1st. The heater was only like $150 delivered.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store