Florida Gar not doing to well.

lifesabichir

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2016
Hello everyone. I decided on a gar and found a 4 inch Florida gar. Currently he's in a 33 long until the 6x2x2 arrives. What the previous owner didn't mention was he hasn't eaten in over a week. Now I'm here with a juvenile Florida gar that I can put my hand under him and not even run and mouth open 90% of the time. Is it too late? He won't take any foods. He will eyeball some of the smaller fatheads but that's it. I would try guppies but the stores in my area have been sold out until Wednesday.

lifesabichir

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2016
Small rosy reds will get him feeding. I wouldn't worry
I'm trying no to as I know they can go quite some time without eating lol I found the smallest rosy reds and last night tried a few different small live insects. He showed interest for a split second then ignored them. The previous owner said the store he got it from were feeding live foods.

lifesabichir

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2016
Just a update. Found him stuck to the filter intake and not able to swim away. Things are getting worse and still won't accept any types of food.

lifesabichir

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2016
Another update. He's on his last bit of life. Nothing worked. If I ever try gar again I'll get something much larger than a 4 inch juvenille.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Sorry for the loss.

Reactions: lifesabichir
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com