Florida gar

John2708

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
nottinghamshire,uk
Hi, so I would like to know mainly from people who are native to Florida gars natural range if there are any in this forum. What the lowest temps Florida gar can live at also over the last few weeks here in the UK we have had some amazing weather when we get weather like this I like to put some of my fish out in the ponds I have outdoors. Well this year I did just that and managed to spawn my Florida gar I filmed them in action and the process lasted over 48hr. I harvested a lot of the eggs and there currently incubating we will see if any a viable has anyone else done this ? and how long did they take to hatch?

I appreciate any useful information given

thanks

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi, so I would like to know mainly from people who are native to Florida gars natural range if there are any in this forum. What the lowest temps Florida gar can live at also over the last few weeks here in the UK we have had some amazing weather when we get weather like this I like to put some of my fish out in the ponds I have outdoors. Well this year I did just that and managed to spawn my Florida gar I filmed them in action and the process lasted over 48hr. I harvested a lot of the eggs and there currently incubating we will see if any a viable has anyone else done this ? and how long did they take to hatch?

I appreciate any useful information given

thanks
Wow! Congrats on the spawn.
Chicxulub Chicxulub
kno4te kno4te

Reactions: John2708 and kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I know some who’ve kept them in the 60s. Their cousins like long nose and short nose in the mid west do fine in ponds that are frozen over. They are able to survive.

John2708

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
nottinghamshire,uk
hi, thanks for the reply the temperature has changed here and my outdoor pond is down to 14 celsius so iv brought them back inside to my indoor pond they looked fine I was just being cautious there not happy to be back inside but iv owned the three for just over 12yrs know and don't want to see any harm come to them I was thinking about letting them have the outdoor pond permanently if I go of last years winter the pond didn't drop below 5 celsius.

KNO4TE are you saying they can survive in below zero temps

thanks, al for the replies so fare appreciated

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store