Florida or spotted gar? Please id.

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
Seen a about 20 cm long gar at the store. I don't know if its a spotted of a florida gar. The store guy is not Screenshot_20190823-214049_QuickPic.jpgsure about it. I am on my way to enter into monster fish. I read that these spotted gars (if it is a spotted gar" don't grow so big. Is it ok to house this particular species in a 2 meter long tank? I don't have the tank now but maximum I can go for is 180 or 200 cm tank. Please id this fish and please advise the tank size requirements. Thanks.

Image attched.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

ReApEr666

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2018
Are you sure? This has spots on it while Alligator gar have one colour and no spots. Please correct if I am wrong. Thanks
100% gator...all juvie gators have spots, they are often almost all black...they keep pattern for quite some time also even up to 3-4'... its only the pictures of the giants 6'+ that may be confusing you for having one color. They get alot lighter brown as they age. Ive seen some adults retain the dark base tho just the same.

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
100% gator...all juvie gators have spots, they are often almost all black...they keep pattern for quite some time also even up to 3-4'... its only the pictures of the giants 6'+ that may be confusing you for having one color. They get alot lighter brown as they age. Ive seen some adults retain the dark base tho just the same.
Thanks dear. So adding this 15 cm to a 5 feet isn't a great idea? Maybe just for an year?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
You can't tell a Florida gar from a spotted one from the external features. Period. Been proven.

Now this is moot as this is an alligator gar, as stated, they have plenty of spots when young.

In a 5 feet x 2 feet tank, a 6" alligator gar might last about 6-10 months if properly fed and taken care of. YMMV. My opinion.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store