Florida Soft Shell Turtle Care

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Hey:) I would love to see a picture of your guy!
As mentioned if you have a female it will get very big. Males stay a bit smaller.
I can’t speak to adult size yet, mine is still a baby. I haven’t measured him in a while, but I’d say he’s right around the 4” mark.
A more recent picture of him.
View attachment 1421465
I’m learning as I go, but if you have specific questions I’d be happy to try and answer them:)
Here’s a pic of him in the 10g when he first got home. He’s super cute. How long have you had yours and what’s it’s growth rate like?

1C1260E2-8E0D-4E65-8014-39DC49797170.jpeg

F8965C09-F831-4E2D-855F-ABDC640B4BDE.jpeg

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
They sure do look nice and pretty when they are young still. Lol kind of ugly when they get older but then again I just don't like the color grey.
Yeah they definitely dont hold the colour but its the neck on them I like as they get bigger and the fact theyre primarily aquatic

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Here’s a pic of him in the 10g when he first got home. He’s super cute. How long have you had yours and what’s it’s growth rate like?

View attachment 1421545

View attachment 1421546
Awe! Adorable!

I think I’ve had my guy 1 1/2 yrs now roughly. And he’s grown 2-3” Over the winter it was cold in the room and he kinda hibernate a bit. Didn’t eat too much and rarely basked.
Now that it’s warm he eats as much as I’ll feed him.

You’ll definitely want to switch over to sand if you haven’t already. They love it and it exfoliates their skin. ?

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Awe! Adorable!

I think I’ve had my guy 1 1/2 yrs now roughly. And he’s grown 2-3” Over the winter it was cold in the room and he kinda hibernate a bit. Didn’t eat too much and rarely basked.
Now that it’s warm he eats as much as I’ll feed him.

You’ll definitely want to switch over to sand if you haven’t already. They love it and it exfoliates their skin. ?
Yeah his current tank has the same sand as my big tank. Right now hes munching on snails and shrimp overnight, never in front of me haha. Hopefully I can match that growth because I need him to get big!

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Yeah his current tank has the same sand as my big tank. Right now hes munching on snails and shrimp overnight, never in front of me haha. Hopefully I can match that growth because I need him to get big!
If you keep his water and air temp warm year round I’m sure you’ll see faster growth then I have so far.
Once I get my guy moved into his new home (basement fish room) the temp should stay much more consistent year round. The current room he’s in is way too drafty during the cold months.

Mine has never minded eating in front of me, but I did get him as a hatchling. I was feeding him in a container for a few months just to be sure he was eating enough. Now he will chase my finger around the glass ? I’m sure it’s because he thinks it’s a night crawler. Those are his favorite. But he’s really not picky.

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
If you keep his water and air temp warm year round I’m sure you’ll see faster growth then I have so far.
Once I get my guy moved into his new home (basement fish room) the temp should stay much more consistent year round. The current room he’s in is way too drafty during the cold months.

Mine has never minded eating in front of me, but I did get him as a hatchling. I was feeding him in a container for a few months just to be sure he was eating enough. Now he will chase my finger around the glass ? I’m sure it’s because he thinks it’s a night crawler. Those are his favorite. But he’s really not picky.
Hopefully my guy gets to that point. I keep his water at 80 degrees and he gets the same water change schedule as my fish (every 5-6 days) with lots of pothos to suck out nitrates in between. He has yet to even leave the water in front of me but hopefully soon he does. Im definitely Ganna stay tuned to follow up on your little guy!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store