Flow rates for datnoids

SuperNinja

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2014
Desert
Hi everyone!

has anyone messed around with different flowrates to see what datnoids seem to like the best? Mine are all generally stable aside from the baby converting to pellets. But they just seem to hang out in their little spots. Size ranges from 8” to 3” have a sump and two 500 gph powerheads on a 4’ 150g. 300g will be in next month.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi everyone!

has anyone messed around with different flowrates to see what datnoids seem to like the best? Mine are all generally stable aside from the baby converting to pellets. But they just seem to hang out in their little spots. Size ranges from 8” to 3” have a sump and two 500 gph powerheads on a 4’ 150g. 300g will be in next month.
K krichardson

Reactions: fishhead0103666

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have never considered trying different flow rates for my dats. Based on the information I have read about regarding their natural habitat I never saw it as a big enough of a factor in the successful keeping of the species.

Reactions: tlindsey

SuperNinja

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2014
Desert
I have never considered trying different flow rates for my dats. Based on the information I have read about regarding their natural habitat I never saw it as a big enough of a factor in the successful keeping of the species.
okay so i have 5 dats and 12 baby bichirs. On a 48x24x30 tall would just the sump return be enough? What kind of flow do you have in your datnoid tanks?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
okay so i have 5 dats and 12 baby bichirs. On a 48x24x30 tall would just the sump return be enough? What kind of flow do you have in your datnoid tanks?
I might have answered your post too soon before mulling it over a bit more.I initially misconstrued your question to be about water movement in the tank rather than filtration turnover rate.....having said that,as much turnover/flow as possible is preferable,especially in tanks with numerous different fish.

SuperNinja

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2014
Desert
After some experimentation i found they like minimal flow. They tend to hide when the flow is high and come out to swim when the flow is minimal

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store