Flower horn legality???

Capo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Hi all,
I was wondering, are flowerhorns legal in Australia? South Australia to be more specific? I would like to breed them but they may not be legal.
Is there a website where i can find out the fish which are illegal for Australia?

I want to find a fish which would be beneficial to breed and maybe make profits from, i am only 17 and am looking at a career in aquaculture in the futre, this could be my early start!

Do you know of any other fish which would be worth breeding??? thanks alot.
(BTW it is not a big scale breeding program, just a small job, only got 4 tanks ATM)

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
FlowerHorns should be legal, if they are in fact illegal which is very unlikely all Cichlids will be illegal and that is basically impossible to do.

Good luck with the breeding program there... I say fish like Severums, Discus, and Clown Loache's are other fish that do not get too big and people are willing to spend little above average for.

Capo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah thanks, the only reason i thought they may be illegal is because JDs are illegal in South Australia but not Oscars, Green Terrors etc???!!!
Yeah, i wanted the flower horn because people will pay more for them and i have heard thet they are a relatively easy cichlid to breed compared to some. But now i have to find a small group to pair off with right? lol, and the fun begins!

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
Capo said:
Yeah thanks, the only reason i thought they may be illegal is because JDs are illegal in South Australia but not Oscars, Green Terrors etc???!!!
Yeah, i wanted the flower horn because people will pay more for them and i have heard thet they are a relatively easy cichlid to breed compared to some. But now i have to find a small group to pair off with right? lol, and the fun begins!
Well the people are willing to pay good money for FlowerHorn fry that came off from some top FlowerHorns. If you go to your local fish store and buy a fish for $10 you can not expect to charge people $200 for what it provides.

You would have to go ahead and buy two FlowerHorns at $200 range and if they are fertile, only then would you have a nice and profiting breeding program.

Capo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Couldnt i just buy lots of fry from the Aquabid website?
I know that they wouldnt all be high quality fry but if i get the fry from good parents they would have at least some which would be worth money right?
Is there any particular strain that you reccomend?

thanks for your help BTW

Capo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
OH and what should i look for? what determines a HIGH quality flowerhorn?
I was thinking bright colours obvioulsy:p
Also, colouring up at a young age, large horn, very HIGH shape, long finnage.
The one in your picture which i think looks the "best" is the one in the second column, third row.
Is that what im looking for? is that a typical high quality flowerhorn?
(sorry bout the questions:p)

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
Well I am saying this strictly from the past experience with fish in general and not specifically with FlowerHorns but if you buy a whole bunch of fry from common FlowerHorns I doubt you will end up with anything special. Who knows.. maybe I am wrong?

All of those FlowerHorns on the poster will go for a few hundred if not thousand dollars. If you will manage to end up with something like that you got it maid.. ;) But general bright colors, long fins, and gigantic bump on the forehead just about generalises it. Sorry I do not know have much FlowerHorn experience, cant really name a good strain.

What I can suggest is dont over-crowd your tanks and keep the water as clean as possible, extra filters.. Very basic, and everything should be great.

Capo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
OK, will a 75 gal be large onugh for them if i get them as 1"-2" fry then grow the for about a year?
I am getting a new tank about mid next year maybe earlier
hopefully in the 8' range.

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
Capo said:
OK, will a 75 gal be large onugh for them if i get them as 1"-2" fry then grow the for about a year?
I am getting a new tank about mid next year maybe earlier
hopefully in the 8' range.
75 gallon should be fine to grow out the fry but no way for a year. I would say in about 6-7 months each fish will be 6"+ and will kill half of the tank mates. Or you can wait for the fry to pair up, leave them in there and remove everyone else.

MaJiKTeRRoR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2005
Illinois
I had 7 fry in a 55. There is only 1 left.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store