Flower Horn Monster

Mad Icthyologist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Illinois
I would like to hear some opinions about these controversial hybrids.
I bought one 2 years ago when new to aquariums. I didn't know what I was getting into. Now the fish is 16 inches long in a 40 gal breeder tank. I have enjoyed it very much. I am trying to find info on exactly what species are in their genetic makeup.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I've been wondering the samething for the longest time...I still think I'm alittle lost, but here it goes. Flowerhorns are made up of: Trimac, Red Devils, and Blood Parrots (which are hybrids themselfs, consisting of Red Devils and Festivums). I THINK that's it.

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
benzjamin13 said:
I've been wondering the samething for the longest time...I still think I'm alittle lost, but here it goes. Flowerhorns are made up of: Trimac, Red Devils, and Blood Parrots (which are hybrids themselfs, consisting of Red Devils and Festivums). I THINK that's it.
flowerhorns have been bred so extensively that they are now there very own species

grenade3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
ventura, california
flowerhorns are for sure thier own species now, they are great fish if you have the space for them. i have not noticed too much aggression in the ones I have dealt with. I do not keep them but I hear they are great fish.

Mad Icthyologist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Illinois
DeLgAdO said:
you could post a pic

i find fh an awsome fish, mine is aggressive but hes not as aggressive as there reputation says they are. but he's still has an attitude :grinyes:

here my soon to be monster, i hope he reaches 14 in too :)

I would love to post a pic but i don't have the right equipment yet. thanks for your reply. My FH has had its colors fade from when it was about 8-9 inches. it used to look just like yours with slightly less red behind the gills and a heavy blue sheen towards the tail. mine is extremely aggressive sometimes to its own hurt. I also would love to put it in a 200 gallon plus tank but i am unable to do so presently. Your fish is very attractive and i hope it gets huge for you. the one good thing i have done is give it an extremely varied diet, (beefheart, krill, pellets, nightcrawlers, feederfish, ghost shrimp, bloodworms, brineshrimp, wigglers, waxworms, along with an omega three supplement).
about 10 months ago it developed popeye in its left eye almost overnight. this was mainly due to my neglect in care. however after approx. 10 days and several water changes and minimal feedings the eye actually went back to normal. I was ecstatic because it looked like it was going to lose the eye.
since that fiasco i have upped my water changes to at least once a week and 20%. within the last month i have gone to 2 changes a week at 20% to try and bring back some color with some results but not great yet. I would reccomend that you go with more changes than less because it certainly doesn't bother the fish and they do produce tons of waste.
again good luck with your fish and thanks to everybody for replies.

Oscar guy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Queens NY
with out a dout the best most interactive fish i ever had. I really think they are smart and have personalitys just like oscars but better. i have had such a strond connection with my FL that i can feed him by hand. when i change the water he always touches my hand constantly. well that me thats how i feel about my FL

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
Not to sound rude or anything but IMO a 16" fish should be in something like a 75 gallon. And that would bring out his colors tremendously. Oh and try shrimp and krill to bring back some of the red.

Chad

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Just out of curiousity...if Flwerhorns are their own species now, do they have a scientific name?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store