Flowerhorn Biotope?

D. Nadalin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2019
Australia
I have read that Flowerhorns are created from trimacs and red devils, if this is true does this mean they would thrive in either one of those fishes biotopes?

I currently have one in a 75 and was trying to set it up to bring out as much of the fishes instinctual behaviour as possible. I currently have just river gravel and some large rocks in the corner of the tank. Any input would be much appreciated.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I have read that Flowerhorns are created from trimacs and red devils, if this is true does this mean they would thrive in either one of those fishes biotopes?

I currently have one in a 75 and was trying to set it up to bring out as much of the fishes instinctual behaviour as possible. I currently have just river gravel and some large rocks in the corner of the tank. Any input would be much appreciated.
Well theoretically yes they should do ok in either of those fish's biotope -- though esp. if one's FH was expensive and more of a showpiece, then one would have to balance this vs safety of your fish. For example I personally wouldn't put any sharp, jagged rocks or driftwood in the tank. Bear in mind also many FH get bigger humps than Trimacs, Red Devils, which might get more easily damaged in these biotopes -- which is why many FH owners go with bare bottom tanks, though inevitably it comes down to your taste/preference.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

D. Nadalin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2019
Australia
Well theoretically yes they should do ok in either of those fish's biotope -- though esp. if one's FH was expensive and more of a showpiece, then one would have to balance this vs safety of your fish. For example I personally wouldn't put any sharp, jagged rocks or driftwood in the tank. Bear in mind also many FH get bigger humps than Trimacs, Red Devils, which might get more easily damaged in these biotopes -- which is why many FH owners go with bare bottom tanks, though inevitably it comes down to your taste/preference.
Good point about safety with decor, the rocks I have are quite smooth, i was thinking of adding large pieces of Mopani driftwood which is a lot smoother in comparison to malaysian driftwood in my opinion. I guess bare bottom tanks are stress free for the owner of the fish, but i feel it prevents the fish from expressing a lot of its natural behaviour.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I guess bare bottom tanks are stress free for the owner of the fish, but i feel it prevents the fish from expressing a lot of its natural behaviour.
In some ways yes, some ways no -- bare bottoms actually required daily maintenance to keep them looking nice (I hate seeing fish waste on bottom of tank and it soon gets zapped out with a battery powered siphon, but overall agreed they're less stress for the owner).

Insofar as the fish, I guess one needs to decide if they want to observe their fish in a more natural environment (even if it's now a hybrid), or if they want a fish that's more interactive with them instead of its decor, tank mates etc.

D. Nadalin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2019
Australia
Do you think if there is enough ground cover in the tank (wood and rocks) that a pleco could be housed with a flowerhorn? I was considering trialing this as it would be handy to have a algae eater in the tank if possible.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Ive always thought bare bottom 0 decor equates to a jail cell. But at the same time ive had Oscars and all of them did what ever they pleased with decor including large rocks. So safety could be a factor, for you the fish and tank. But I do believe that stuff inside the tank for the fish to interact with is good for the fish. My friend has a flowerhorn big one too and he has a metal bar contraption coated in plastidip that he ties ping pong balls and other stuff that will float to for the fish to play with. He has a soft sand bottom and a couple fake plants not silk as his shredded those. He takes the "toy" out at bed time. The fish plays with the toy bopping and mouthing the floating pieces and it pouts when he removes it. But hes worried about safety of it in the tank over night figuring the fish could get caught on a piece of fishing line. Doesnt seem to be a problem during the day but he works from home and is there to watch most of the time. It also comes out if he leaves for any extended amout of time. It does not look natural but I think its good for the fish. And the fish is always happy to see people and show off its toy.

Reactions: islandguy11

D. Nadalin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2019
Australia
That sounds really cool, I think creating mental stimulation for the fish is really important, especially if its alone, so its great that your friend has done that for his fish.

Reactions: twentyleagues

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I agree with islandguy; the flowerhorn should do just fine in a biotope suited for an amphilophus, although there is certainly a bit more than amphilophus in the mix. Though I would be careful about any large or pointed décor which could injure the fish. I don't think you're going to see any "natural" behavior from the flowerhorn though- they are not a natural species and their normal behavior is replaced with hyper-aggression. This is why so many flowerhorns "glass bang", swim in circles on the glass, attack hands, etc. Sure, amphilophus will do this as well, but I think it becomes enhanced in hybrid fish, and also possibly by the incredibly boring tanks most owners keep flowerhorns in. I don't have any evidence to back up the last part of that, just a theory.

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
Also flowerhorns being hybrid of different types of ca cichlids over and over and over...... alot of their instinctual behaviour in my opinion is gone... they dont act anything close to their many relatives.. almost mindless in a way... bare tank and show off the fish... they seem to enjoy human and animal interaction more than anything and will be less "fun" in a tank full of decor

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
That sounds really cool, I think creating mental stimulation for the fish is really important, especially if its alone, so its great that your friend has done that for his fish.
Yeah he got that from a guy with puffers. The puffer ones base was a piece of pvc filled with sand, maybe becsuse of the salt water? He first used it with his now passed Lineatus puffer. He was able to keep some dithers with his puffer and believed the toy kept the puffer from being bored and killing them. Who knows for sure any puffer can be "good" or "bad" and it may have killed and eaten a few other fish as some would disappear.

Reactions: D. Nadalin
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store