Flowerhorn Breakdown

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Now I know that a flowerhorn is a hybrid. Exactly what fish make up this fish? I know one of them is a parrot cichlid, but I hear that it's a hybrid also. And what would make up a parrot? It's starting to drive me :screwy: HOW MANY FISH MAKES UP A FLOWERHORN?! TELL ME?! :wall:

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
red devil and severums make up parrots. A whole lot of other fish, mostly cichlasoma make up the flowerhorn. I don't think anybody here is really sure exactly which fish though.

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Flowerhorns aren't really hybrids any more, they have been so selectively bred that they are their own species now practically...lol. But the first FHs were part Trimac, and part Red Devil I think. Then they just kept inbreedin and selectin traits they wanted. Took a while! LoL.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I think I've heard that they're part Trimac, Red Devil, and some type of Blood Parrot...I think it was Jinghad or something.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
different flowerhorns are made up of different species. I believe the first flowerhorns were created from a trimac and synspilum. after that, midas, texas, festae, carpintis and many, many other species have been used to bring out certain desirable traits. :)

e!o!z!

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
Peanut_Power said:
Flowerhorns aren't really hybrids any more, they have been so selectively bred that they are their own species now practically...lol. But the first FHs were part Trimac, and part Red Devil I think. Then they just kept inbreedin and selectin traits they wanted. Took a while! LoL.
Peanut power is right it really does not matter the parent species anymore do to all of the selective breeding that has happened to the flowerhorns in the last ten years or so. You can find traits from most of the new world cichlids( except the pikes) involved in the Flowerhorn now.

sauroid

Candiru
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
somewhere in asia
and that thought is scary because sooner or later, the domestic gene pool of our beloved PURE species would be contaminated by FH blood one way or another. and then there would be no pure cichlasomine to buy in almost all the LFS. doomsday for the hobby. i just hope that would never happen. :eek: :cry:

b3n3d1ck

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
Pilipinas
Today, there are many species mixed to "create" FH like Trimac, Midas, Red Devil, Carpintis, Tetracanthus, Severums, Vieja/Paratheraps species, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store