Flowerhorn Breed?

Rakeboy

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2020
Philippines
So what then does zhen Zhou mean?
Please stop, there are enough like you out there saying things like this.
That is my opinion and I use the word "may be" it is up to you to take it. Most red dragon has less pearling, more red, compare to that or may be what i have seen are more quality fh. Red dragon and Zz is almost similar. Kamfa Zz is also look like that. Nevertheless, to determine the exact breed or strain of flowerhorn is hard in the first place.This is a hybrid fish unless we ask the breeder and even we ask, most breeder dont care whether it is a red dragon zz, kamfa zz since they are almost look alike. As long they produce a quality flowerhorn and sell that's it. Here in my country Philippines, most breeder cross kamfa, Zz and red dragon almost exclusively to create a more pearling fh and kokster fh. Kamfa and Zz compensate each other breed. That also what i think what the other south asians breeders are doing. At the end of the day it is still a flowerhorn. Dont be pedantic.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
That is my opinion and I use the word "may be" it is up to you to take it. Most red dragon has less pearling, more red, compare to that or may be what i have seen are more quality fh. Red dragon and Zz is almost similar. Kamfa Zz is also look like that. Nevertheless, to determine the exact breed or strain of flowerhorn is hard in the first place.This is a hybrid fish unless we ask the breeder and even we ask, most breeder dont care whether it is a red dragon zz, kamfa zz since they are almost look alike. As long they produce a quality flowerhorn and sell that's it. Here in my country Philippines, most breeder cross kamfa, Zz and red dragon almost exclusively to create a more pearling fh and kokster fh. Kamfa and Zz compensate each other breed. That also what i think what the other south asians breeders are doing. At the end of the day it is still a flowerhorn. Dont be pedantic.
ZZ are Red Dragon's, ZZ is just the strain name while Red Dragon is the common name for the strain. A Kamfa x ZZ would either be a Magma or a Kamfamalau. It just depends on what traits are most prevalent, Magma's tend to look more like a traditional ZZ Red Dragon with extra pearling while a Kamfamalau tends to look more like a regular Kamfa with a slightly larger kok and green-greenish pearls.

I will agree tho that Kamfa's and ZZ Red Dragon's do tend to be bred together quite regularly just due to the popularity of the newer Magma and Kamfamalau strains.

I'd still say tho that OP's FH is just a ZZ Red Dragon. Yeah it's got some extra pearling on its kok but that's not entirely uncommon, same with the lack of red coloration. These here are pics of 2 of my ZZ Red Dragon's that I had at one point. The brighter more colorful one was the father (Jr) and the duller more bland looking one was his daughter (Big Bertha). As you can see they are drastically different from one another even tho they are directly related to each other. All it comes down to is the genetic lottery.

IMG_20210107_160402311.jpg

IMG_20181006_050653803.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store