Flowerhorn empty tank

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Is there a benefit to keeping a Flowerhorn in an empty tank? I see lots bare bottom without any type of scape Flowerhorn tanks on YouTube . Much more than other types of fish

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Is there a benefit to keeping a Flowerhorn in an empty tank? I see lots bare bottom without any type of scape Flowerhorn tanks on YouTube . Much more than other types of fish
There are several reasons why many if not most FH keepers have bare bottom set-ups:
1) FH's eat a lot and produce a lot of waste. When that waste is in full view as it is on a bare bottom, you feel more inclined to take it out right then and there (I like to use battery operated vacuum cleaners for a quick zap of the waste) rather then let it go into your filters or get hidden in substrate or under decor, where it will ramp up your nitrate levels.

2) No/little decor means less chance for your fish to accidentally injure itself (esp. if it has a big hump). Many FH's can be active, aggressive/territorial so it's simply a preventative measure (I also wrap yoga mat around center bracing in case they jump and hit their heads).

3) Also with such tanks the visual focus is on the beautiful fish rather than decorations etc.

All of that said I personally like to ensure my FH's have always had some kind of shelter they can go to relax or sleep in, just make sure whatever you use doesn't have sharp edges or something that could scratch/injure your fish. I also like to put in a few rocks for him to move around and play with for some simulation.

Drakaris New Tank 3 m.jpg

At then end of the day it comes down to personal preference though -- with proper tank size, water maintenance and parameters plus good feeding habits your FH can thrive in either environment.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
There are several reasons why many if not most FH keepers have bare bottom set-ups:
1) FH's eat a lot and produce a lot of waste. When that waste is in full view as it is on a bare bottom, you feel more inclined to take it out right then and there (I like to use battery operated vacuum cleaners for a quick zap of the waste) rather then let it go into your filters or get hidden in substrate or under decor, where it will ramp up your nitrate levels.

2) No/little decor means less chance for your fish to accidentally injure itself (esp. if it has a big hump). Many FH's can be active, aggressive/territorial so it's simply a preventative measure (I also wrap yoga mat around center bracing in case they jump and hit their heads).

3) Also with such tanks the visual focus is on the beautiful fish rather than decorations etc.

All of that said I personally like to ensure my FH's have always had some kind of shelter they can go to relax or sleep in, just make sure whatever you use doesn't have sharp edges or something that could scratch/injure your fish. I also like to put in a few rocks for him to move around and play with for some simulation.

View attachment 1396872

At then end of the day it comes down to personal preference though -- with proper tank size, water maintenance and parameters plus good feeding habits your FH can thrive in either environment.
That makes sense, awesome FH btw

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store