Flowerhorn Feeding Schedule

StephenM30

Feeder Fish
Sep 1, 2020
Hello all!

I’ve got a 12”+ FH that I’ve had for approx 10 months. I generally feed 2 times a day, NorthFin tropical sticks (6 sticks) with 1 very small Red River shrimp and 1 very small krill (both freeze dried). In your opinion, should I be feeding this diet? Something different or at a different interval?

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
12 inches!? Can I see some pics of that bad boy? Seems like a lot of food. But I’ve never had a fish over 8 inches. Personally I’d feed once per day

StephenM30

Feeder Fish
Sep 1, 2020
He’s a good looking fish but doesn’t have a giant nuchal hump. It does seem like a lot of food but he never spits anything out his gills or seems super bloated. His feces looks normal too.

A356EB1C-D3D8-4900-887B-5216E8CFDF45.jpeg

EFB25648-D26A-4A23-ACF8-62DDF1D05E2E.jpeg

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Hello all!

I’ve got a 12”+ FH that I’ve had for approx 10 months. I generally feed 2 times a day, NorthFin tropical sticks (6 sticks) with 1 very small Red River shrimp and 1 very small krill (both freeze dried). In your opinion, should I be feeding this diet? Something different or at a different interval?
At some point soon you should start feeding once a day as mentioned above but I would keep the Northfin sticks daily as the staple and keep anything else 1-3 times a week. Since you feed so little daily it’s not so bad but freeze dried food can be difficult to digest so you should keep it limited 1-3 times a week.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I agree with the others here saying that ya should only feed once a day. Not only does it help to reduce waste in the tank but it also helps to prevent any food based health problems down the road. Also since your guy is pretty well fully grown he doesn't need the large amounts of food for growth anymore. As for kok growth there's no point on focusing on that as a big kok just makes it harder to swim and eat for em. If you would like to slowly help him with kok growth I would recommend using a mirror once a day for 20mins after feeding. This gives the FH a sense of competition in the tank for a short time and once it's taken away for the day, it simulates him having a victory over the "invader" and successfully pushing it out his his territory. Just don't do this before feeding as this will just take all of his attention away from eating. For his size I wouldn't expect the kok to grow much bigger but it also helps to bring out a FH's natural colors as well so still worth doing imo.

Reactions: StephenM30

StephenM30

Feeder Fish
Sep 1, 2020
I agree with the others here saying that ya should only feed once a day. Not only does it help to reduce waste in the tank but it also helps to prevent any food based health problems down the road. Also since your guy is pretty well fully grown he doesn't need the large amounts of food for growth anymore. As for kok growth there's no point on focusing on that as a big kok just makes it harder to swim and eat for em. If you would like to slowly help him with kok growth I would recommend using a mirror once a day for 20mins after feeding. This gives the FH a sense of competition in the tank for a short time and once it's taken away for the day, it simulates him having a victory over the "invader" and successfully pushing it out his his territory. Just don't do this before feeding as this will just take all of his attention away from eating. For his size I wouldn't expect the kok to grow much bigger but it also helps to bring out a FH's natural colors as well so still worth doing imo.
Very good information. I really appreciate the detail and the mirror idea. I figured at this point since he’s obviously full grown his kok is pretty much done growing also.

How much would you feed at the once a day interval if it were one of yours?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Very good information. I really appreciate the detail and the mirror idea. I figured at this point since he’s obviously full grown his kok is pretty much done growing also.

How much would you feed at the once a day interval if it were one of yours?
I fed mine only 15-20 pellets a day. Mines a female that's about 8.5in so she pretty close to being fully grown now. I always feed her only once a day with a small portion so that no matter what I can always get her to eat. Every now and then I'll give her a big treat to eat and won't feed her the next day, her favorite treat is thawed pinky mice. Been feeding a bit more lately since she got a new tank mate a couple months ago, male bluegill, and just got him to start eating dry pellets, had to soak em for about a month before he started eating em as is. So in general they both get to split 30-35 pellets between eachother. I feed hikari gold large floating pellets just because it's cheap and not the worst food out there.

This my big girl btw, her name is Big Bertha for how manly looking she is.

cameringo_20200607_003345.jpg

cameringo_20200321_062324.jpg

k9storm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2020
I was wondering if it’s ok/advisable to feed your flowerhorn on occasion dried seaweed? I hear you are supposed to give them some roughage every now and then. I have some Omega One dried seaweed for one of my other tanks and wanted to know if it was ok to give it to the flowerhorn.

k9storm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2020
I was wondering if it’s ok/advisable to feed your flowerhorn on occasion dried seaweed? I hear you are supposed to give them some roughage every now and then. I have some

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I was wondering if it’s ok/advisable to feed your flowerhorn on occasion dried seaweed? I hear you are supposed to give them some roughage every now and then. I have some
Should be fine as far as I know. I know I tend to feed mine an algae wafer every now and then.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store