Flowerhorn female's first litter! Unfortunately, eggs might not have made it.

IckyIcky

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2020
eggs2.jpgeggs.jpg

Hi guys. You've probably seen a lot of my posts. My female flowerhorn finally laid her first litter, and my male flowerhorn came over to spawn on it. I saw his semen extrude onto the eggs if I was looking up close, but unfortunately I'm not sure if these eggs made it. A few have started to die, and I fear all will soon die because of the small white part attached to them now. It's okay though. I don't know if this means he's infertile or not, because I have a picture of the stream coming out of him. Perhaps it wasn't properly fanned and fungus spread all over, but it's okay. The 2 fishies are eating healthily still.

What are your opinions?

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
It’s normal for some eggs to fungus. The other eggs look fine. Did you pull out the parents or are they still guarding the clutch?

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

IckyIcky

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2020
It’s normal for some eggs to fungus. The other eggs look fine. Did you pull out the parents or are they still guarding the clutch?
Hey there. Parents are out now. I left dad in overnight to fertilise and he stopped fanning and swam around the 5ft when i gave him space. I sewed a net mesh into the egg-crate so that Male flowerhorn can stay on another side freely. Currenly artificially fanning so far.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Ah I see...hope you get plenty of fry. They should lay again soon If these don’t work out. Next time, you can put the eggs in a smaller tank with a bubbler and add methylene blue or acriflavine to inhibit fungus. Make sure the bubbles aren’t touching the eggs. Good luck

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Looks like they did a good job for their first time. Mine had to try 4 times before they got the whole process right so yours did a pretty good job. Hopefully ya get a ton of fry and have a ton of spare tanks for em. I find that the fry can be somewhat cannibalistic if not separated enough.

IckyIcky

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2020
Looks like they did a good job for their first time. Mine had to try 4 times before they got the whole process right so yours did a pretty good job. Hopefully ya get a ton of fry and have a ton of spare tanks for em. I find that the fry can be somewhat cannibalistic if not separated enough.
Unfortunately I don't know if they survived. It's day 2 now and I see no sign of life, or at least black circles within the eggs. Only a multiplying amount of white eggs. There are still at least a couple hundred transparent eggs but that's about it so far. Put methylene blue and trasnffered the eggs into a seperate tank with a bubbler at a lower speed. 55gal breeder tank they're in at the moment. I saw my male flowerhorn release his semen onto the eggs but I don't know if that is enough to justify his fertility. I have a video of it too, but they're both new and I do not expect too much. I relaised it's a common trend for 4 lays before a batch of fishes too, hahaha. :)

P phreeflow Thank you as well. I put more methylene blue into a seperate tank and lowered the bubbles too.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Unfortunately I don't know if they survived. It's day 2 now and I see no sign of life, or at least black circles within the eggs. Only a multiplying amount of white eggs. There are still at least a couple hundred transparent eggs but that's about it so far. Put methylene blue and trasnffered the eggs into a seperate tank with a bubbler at a lower speed. 55gal breeder tank they're in at the moment. I saw my male flowerhorn release his semen onto the eggs but I don't know if that is enough to justify his fertility. I have a video of it too, but they're both new and I do not expect too much. I relaised it's a common trend for 4 lays before a batch of fishes too, hahaha. :)

P phreeflow Thank you as well. I put more methylene blue into a seperate tank and lowered the bubbles too.
I wouldn't give up hope just yet. When mine had their successful batch it took about 4 days to hatch so ya got atleast 2 left to go before ya know if they are all duds or not.

Btw if ya don't mind me asking, was your filter next to the spot where the eggs were laid?

IckyIcky

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2020
I wouldn't give up hope just yet. When mine had their successful batch it took about 4 days to hatch so ya got atleast 2 left to go before ya know if they are all duds or not.

Btw if ya don't mind me asking, was your filter next to the spot where the eggs were laid?
Oh wassup. Filter is off at the moment for the tank that i put the eggs into. just an air stone is on. In my 5ft tank the filter was also off when they were laying and spawning. I heard that the Fish stuff can get sucked into the filter if we leave it on, especially beside the eggs.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Oh wassup. Filter is off at the moment for the tank that i put the eggs into. just an air stone is on. In my 5ft tank the filter was also off when they were laying and spawning. I heard that the Fish stuff can get sucked into the filter if we leave it on, especially beside the eggs.
Ahh ok, yeah was about to mention that lol. Usually I made certain the filter and breeding spots were on opposite sides of the tank so I could leave the filter on without sucking up the sperm into it.

I also allowed the parents to take care of their eggs too so not sure if that play any part in the whole cycle or not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store