Flowerhorn hides flowerline

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
My flowerhorn sometimes shows the beautiful flowerline it has has but most of the time hides it. He does not look panicked or stressed, sometimes on showing mirror he will bring it out. Water params look fine, is it just his personality?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
My flowerhorn sometimes shows the beautiful flowerline it has has but most of the time hides it. He does not look panicked or stressed, sometimes on showing mirror he will bring it out. Water params look fine, is it just his personality?
I would say you got it right.
Cichlids use color and patterns to show stress and emotions.
It’s likely that the flower spots for this fish are subtle and darken when it is excited.
Like when it sees its reflection and perceives a threat from a rival.

Reactions: Ruturaj

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
This was my pair of Festae.
At around the 30 second mark they noticed a small rock that stood out to them on the white sand.
You can see them show their stress bars when they perceive a threat to the fry, the male especially.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I have been observing him from afar then he shows the flowerline. As soon as I go close to the tank, he hides it and begs for food.

PangDe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2019
My FH does that too, when i goes near the tank, he swim toward me and turn dark.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
My FH does that too, when i goes near the tank, he swim toward me and turn dark.
Wouldn't that be opposite of what mine does? I think his strips turn little darker but flower line vanishes. What about flowerline on your?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store