Flowerhorn not accepting food

KarkiPratik

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2019
Its been 6 days that i got this new kamfa from a good owner with whom it was fine and eating like a pig. It had to travel a 10 hrs journey to come to my place. After the day i put him.in my tank tried feeding him shrimps,pellets but he wasnt accepting or may i say didnt even look at those pellets and kept swimming left and right. I notice that sometimes he rubs his head and body on the bottom and also i dont see any white spots kn his body. 6 days has passed and he still isnt eating anything.He swims around most of the times follows my finger but doesnt eat. What could be the reason? Sadly i cant check the pH or anything cause i csnt get a test kit here. I had the tsnk cyxle for 3 weeks also i added filter media from.another estab. tank. Anyone could help me out?

IMG_20190414_221731.jpg

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
Could be your PH. Could be an ammonia spike. If he is rubbing on surfaces that can often mean something is irritating him. Your water could be very different from the water chemistry he came from with the previous owner. Also what was the previous owner feeding him? I would try finding out so you can give him a food he is used too. But yes six days is a long time not to be eating. I too would be very concerned at this point. GET A TEST KIT. Without a test kit you are destined to have soooooooooooooo many problems keeping Flowerhorns.

Supergeorge123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
People went 200 years without test kits for their aquariums. If you cant get one do a water change every time something seems wrong in addition to your normal schedule. Fish can go a long time without food, you could try live foods if he still wont eat. If he is in a bare aquarium adding some cover for him could make him more comfortable.

Reactions: KarkiPratik

KarkiPratik

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2019
Well he seems fairly active and rushess forward when i come towards the sides of the aquarium, He isnt stressed i suppose cause he isnt hiding, my other fishes used to hide and run away when i came near but instead he comes forward and tries to bite me. I did a coouple of water changes in a span of 4 days, he still hasnt eaten anything. When i drop any food (pellets,dried shrimp) he just watches them from below and carries on swimming or following me. I used dechlorinizing and ph buffering conditioner while water change and also added some to the tank water before adding this water.

KarkiPratik

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2019
Could be your PH. Could be an ammonia spike. If he is rubbing on surfaces that can often mean something is irritating him. Your water could be very different from the water chemistry he came from with the previous owner. Also what was the previous owner feeding him? I would try finding out so you can give him a food he is used too. But yes six days is a long time not to be eating. I too would be very concerned at this point. GET A TEST KIT. Without a test kit you are destined to have soooooooooooooo many problems keeping Flowerhorns.
Yes water varying is true cause he came from a tottaly diff place from where i am in a 12 hrs journey. I have the same pellets as the previous owner used.Well i am trying and searching for a test kit, any solutions or improvisations for this problem without a test kit?

KarkiPratik

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2019
Recent update just saw some white poop floating around that was like a small string attached to a lump of white poop.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store