Flowerhorn paralyzed

Yannick-_-

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2020
Guys pls help yesterday I put a mirror in my Flowerhorn tank and it attacked/rammed into the mirror as soon as it was in the tank (like he normally does). Then the second after he starts to go upside down and sinks, at this point I got a net to keep him up and prevent him from going upside down. I did this for like 10 minutes and then he slowly started acting normal again. He was fine and ate the next morning but his caudal fin (the tail) seems like it’s paralyzed and he can only swim in circles, the only way he can swim is with his pectoral fins. Now the day after this happened I changed the water and he rammed into the gravel sucking tube. He did the same thing again and started laying upside down on the bottom of the tank, but this time it was only 2 minutes until he got better.

Was this some sort of swim bladder problem, is he actually paralyzed and will he heal? Do I need to treat him and how?

I will post pictures tomorrow

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Oh no. I’ve heard of stuff like this happening before. kno4te kno4te knows what to do. Personally I don’t think there’s anything u can do. But he shouldn’t die because of it, I’ve seen many paralyzed fish.

Reactions: Deadeye

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Could be swim bladder or motor/nerve injury. Not sure much else can be done as it’s injury related. No meds will work as it’s not infectious. Gotta try and avoid more trauma. Sorry best of luck.

Yannick-_-

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2020
Thank you, he's active now, eating, bright colours and still has lots of personality. Just hope he recovers, I just don't understand how he got paralyzed like that cause of swim bladder.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks good in the pics.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Could be swim bladder or motor/nerve injury. Not sure much else can be done as it’s injury related. No meds will work as it’s not infectious. Gotta try and avoid more trauma. Sorry best of luck.
Just curious on what your thoughts on this being a probable cause

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store