Flowerhorn Parrot x Blood Parrot Fry Growout.

powellmacaque

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2008
Florida
So, to be fair, most people get Blood Parrots with the assumption that breeding won't result in fry because males are infertile. As somebody who's more of a casual cichlid keeper, I wouldn't have even known where to begin looking to know that Kirin x Parrot crosses could happen.

With that being said, I'm probably going to separate the parents to prevent further breeding. I'm just wondering what I should tell people these fry are, and what to expect them to look like once they get to be about 1"-2".

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Going to be a big mix of phenotypes. Nothing to really call them but bonsai fh x parrot fry. Believe it or not many of these fry will grow pretty large. Best will be square bodied faders.
Keep a female to breed to the male. Thats where things will get interesting.

powellmacaque

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2008
Florida
So as an update: my fertile male wasn’t looking too hot for about a day and then died. It’s unfortunate, but I wasn’t really set up for breeding so not a huge bummer.

Will these fry be fertile? Do I have to worry about them mating with the female?

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Sorry that he died. The males from parrot crosses are generally infertile. Some females can be infertile also.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store