Flowerhorn Question

Canadbis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2005
Calgary AB
I have just had a 5" red Flowerhorn given to me and (sad to say) he has temporarily been placed into a 33G, I really want him into a larger tank and was wondering if there would be a problem putting him into the 45G with three ~4" Channa Bleheri until I can get his home complete.

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
If you put him in there watch him carefully because they can be very aggressive.

finsandfangs

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2005
next to da beech... boyee
don't do it. i have both of the fish that you are talking about and i am telling you that it won't work. flower horns don't mix well even at that size. if you are going to mix anything with flowerhorn it has to be an aggressive fish cichlid. many people keep flowerhorns in smaller tanks than your average cichlid. IMO your 33 gallon would last you 6 to 9 months. than it should have a 75

Canadbis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2005
Calgary AB
finsandfangs said:
don't do it. i have both of the fish that you are talking about and i am telling you that it won't work. flower horns don't mix well even at that size. if you are going to mix anything with flowerhorn it has to be an aggressive fish cichlid. many people keep flowerhorns in smaller tanks than your average cichlid. IMO your 33 gallon would last you 6 to 9 months. than it should have a 75

6-9 monthes makes me happy.
Do you think it will try to eat the little red claw crabs??

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
I think closer to 4-5 months. flowerhorns usually grow very quickly (at least an inch per month). since yours is already 5" it should continue to grow rather quickly and in 4 months it could be up to 9-10". that's going to be pushing it in a 33 gallon. :) now if your FH is a female then it probably won't grow as quickly so you'd have longer. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store