MFK Member
Jul 3, 2009
New Mexico
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
40 - 80 can't tell the difference, missed a water changes, did 30% water change after test
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every two weeks
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi, our flowerhorn isn't doing so well. I noticed yesterday he was a little skittish. This morning when I came to his tank I guess I spooked him and he started spinning, flipping, thrashing in a way that looks like he's struggling to stay upright. He did this a couple more times during the water change. Before I started the water change I knocked down part of the glass lid and it struck him and he has a pretty bad gash on his side. Now that he's calmed down he's is upright, resting on the bottom, but still breathing hard. What can I do to help him?
pictures of gash behind the hump, deeper than it looksIMG_20220714_084829011.jpgIMG_20220714_084804661.jpg

Deadeye

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
First thing I’d do is bump up the water change amount, and see if that helps. Generally fish heal on their own pretty well, but it’s important to maintain good water quality so they can. Have some antibiotics like kanaplex ready in case it gets infected. Flowerhorns do have a weakened immune system so keep that in mind.

Reactions: FishFreak95

FishFreak95

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2009
New Mexico
He's actually healed pretty fast before, but just from scratches and dents on his hump.
I did change some more water.
What I'm more worried about is he is struggling more and more with staying upright. He's anywhere from standing on his head, to on his side, to whirling around in circles rapidly. In case I wasn't very clear, he started acting weird before the glass struck him.
Any ideas?

More information: 75 gallons, 82f/27.8c, got him 2 years ago at ~4.5" and he's about 6 or 7" now. I've blocked out most of the light to the tank, hoping to reduce stress. He survived an Ich infection 2 months ago with Ich-X.

Last edited:

Deadeye

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
kno4te kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Keep up with the water changes. 50% twice a week with a goal of keeping nitrates below 20ppm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store