Flowerhorn very bloated, no treatment has worked at all.

cunnanes69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2019
Esha gdex and esha 2000

As far as i remember his kok deflated with his stomach after 2 days on esha gdex so i had to do a water change and havent treated with meds since just epsom salt

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
OK, I had no idea what those meds are, so I had a look online. The Gdex formula contains Praziquantel, which will treat certain worms (flatworms tapeworms), but not round worms. I would treat with Levamisole if it was my fish. I always dewormed my flowerhorns with Levamisole when they first arrived. Not sure what else to suggest.

Reactions: cunnanes69

cunnanes69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2019
Could be a structural defect in the fish since you’ve treated with meds. If it’s acting normal and poop is color of expected food. Then would just monitor. Give it a break b/w foods to allow for clearance of stool.
Ok that seems like an idea... ya the poop and colour is good seems like a very happy fish apart from the swelling.

cunnanes69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2019
OK, I had no idea what those meds are, so I had a look online. The Gdex formula contains Praziquantel, which will treat certain worms (flatworms tapeworms), but not round worms. I would treat with Levamisole if it was my fish. I always dewormed my flowerhorns with Levamisole when they first arrived. Not sure what else to suggest.
Ya the meds i can get in ireland is mainly from uk based sites like amazon because we have a stupid system with the vets who can not give out proper meds without perscription and shops cant sell it.. Ah i have some of that by the same brand that treated callamanus worms for me before so ill give that a shot and if it doesnt work then i guess its down to the structure of the fish. I wanna say that ye guys have been super super helpful I mean its the first forum where Where ive posted and got genuine people looking to help me. Thank you very much. I really do appreciate it.

Reactions: Ulu

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I believe that C Coryloach is also living in Ireland, so he might be able to hook you up? Good luck!

Reactions: cunnanes69

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Ya the meds i can get in ireland is mainly from uk based sites like amazon because we have a stupid system with the vets who can not give out proper meds without perscription and shops cant sell it.. Ah i have some of that by the same brand that treated callamanus worms for me before so ill give that a shot and if it doesnt work then i guess its down to the structure of the fish. I wanna say that ye guys have been super super helpful I mean its the first forum where Where ive posted and got genuine people looking to help me. Thank you very much. I really do appreciate it.
Maybe this a case where a microscopic exam of feces might yield a diagnosis and thus a legal prescription? Exam of the fish might not be necessary.

I too have had the need for Prazi-pro and Levamisole, but big pet stores in California have taken all the antibiotics off the shelf.

We had lots of people buying for human use, from what I heard, but that could be just rumor.

I have to go to a boutique pet store or online order. It's still around, like a gray-market sale.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Esha gdex and esha 2000
Esha Gdx is praziquantel, treats only tapeworms. Esha 2000, not interested as I've rarely have had bacterial infections in a fish tank, providing one does a good amount of water changing.

Get Kusuri Wormer Plus(if in Ireland, Seahorse Aquariums sell it but you can also order from any UK shop). This will cover round worms and some parasites.

But you may want to start with Waterlife Octozin, active ingredient is dimetridazole, similar to metronidazole. Look it up, it is actually for protozoa and bloat and maybe the one you want to start with. You'll get it from any UK fish shop online and I think also Seahorse aquariums but they don't always carry it.

P.S. If the Waterlife Octozin doesn't improve the situation. Try the Kusuri wormer plus.

Generally, in ornamental fish raised on farms tapeworms are rarely an issue so unless you suspect flukes, praziquantel would be my last choice on the list. In your case it is not flukes...

Last edited:
Reactions: RD. and Ulu

cunnanes69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2019
Ya I was thinking that a good worker may be needed. I tried the ndx to see and it didn't work so I've him fasting with added epsom salt. I noticed yesterday a clear whitish poo and today he pooped yellow.. literally yellow so I think the wormed is a good start

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store