Flowerhorn with other cichlids?

THOSranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2019
Houston, TX
Do you guys think my oscar and BPS can get along with a flowerhorn? My oscar and BPs are pretty tame and my pleco also just minds his own business.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I personally wouldn't recommend the Oscar and a Flowerhorn together, that would almost surely end in disaster unless in a huge community tank. Some may disagree but imo Flowerhorns are best kept solo.

The pleco is kind of 50/50, depends on character (and size) of your FH. It helps if the pleco is already in the tank first before adding the FH). You'd just have to watch it closely and see how it worked out. However if the FH were aggressive toward it I'd soon separate them -- if it happened to eat the pleco it would be a goner too.

THOSranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2019
Houston, TX
I personally wouldn't recommend the Oscar and a Flowerhorn together, that would almost surely end in disaster unless in a huge community tank. Some may disagree but imo Flowerhorns are best kept solo.

The pleco is kind of 50/50, depends on character (and size) of your FH. It helps if the pleco is already in the tank first before adding the FH). You'd just have to watch it closely and see how it worked out. However if the FH were aggressive toward it I'd soon separate them -- if it happened to eat the pleco it would be a goner too.
Well it would be a community tank for sure since I already have my oscar with my BPS, and Pleco. For now my oscar is quite passive and doesn't fight his tank mates. However Ik adding just 1 fish can cause an unbalance and cause a change in behavior in the oscar.

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
I believe the odds of this working out are not good. Each flowerhorn is different and some can get along with other large cichlids usually when they are raised with them. Your oscar is calm because he's the boss of the tank. If you throw in another aggressive cichlid like a flowerhorn you are really really asking for a deadly war. When you move into your new place get a tank that is just for the flowerhorn if you want to keep this fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store