Flush wall mounted plywood tank?

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
So, Since i bought my 2nd house last fall i've been kicking around the idea of another large tank build. It's been a few years. My wife said go for it. I don't think she quite realizes whats involved since she wasn't with me when I built my last 300 gallon.

I still have that same piece of glass. I've moved it with me 6 times.

My questions are;

How do you get the tank to sit flush with the wall without being physically attached to the wall?

Whats a good way to trim it to look like its meant to be there and not just something hanging through the wall?

I'd be cutting into an exisitng wall. I'm going to brace and beam over the top of the cut out wether it is load bearing or not. The tank itself will be in my laundry/utility room with only the viewing window into my master suite.

Probably looking at something like a 72 x 30" foot print.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
When you "fix" the wall at the bottom it should support the front bottom edge of the tank. That way it'll sit flush with the wall front. Then I'd make a frame to attach to the wall that would also cover the edge of the tank. Depending on how wide the edge of the tank was to the glass you could use 1x3 or 1x5 I probably wouldn't go wider then 5" on the trim though. You could get fancy medallions to go at the corners. If you have a Lowes, home depot, or your local lumber yard they'll usually have a trim section and go nuts or keep it simple. I'd be more worried about building the tank myself.....

Reactions: tarheel96

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
Awesome. That's about what I was arriving at. Framing the opening. Running a header beam to prevent sagging.

Build the bottom of the opening to support weight and make the stand the exact same height. So I can slide the tank into the opening.

Sounds like a plan. I'll get some photos and sketch out some ideas today.

Reactions: twentyleagues
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store