Follow Up to 'How Do You Guys Actually Do Water Changes' Regarding pH Change

ProAquarist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2015
Thanks for all the feedback in the other thread, it really shed some light on the subject.

I just did a 90% water change and watched the temp the whole time, it never went more than 2 degrees more than it started at, and that was right where the water was coming in. So matching temp isn't an issue.

However, I tested the pH immediately after the water change and it was 7.2. The tank maintains at 6.0. So, assuming I will not be prepping the water to let it aerate and go back to its natural pH of 6.0 before I use it for water changes, are rays out?

For my own curiosity, I will be testing it tonight and tomorrow to see how long it takes to get back to 6.0.

Has anyone checked their pH at this level? Anyone know they are doing this without issues?

skytan13

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2017
Asia
Thanks for all the feedback in the other thread, it really shed some light on the subject.

I just did a 90% water change and watched the temp the whole time, it never went more than 2 degrees more than it started at, and that was right where the water was coming in. So matching temp isn't an issue.

However, I tested the pH immediately after the water change and it was 7.2. The tank maintains at 6.0. So, assuming I will not be prepping the water to let it aerate and go back to its natural pH of 6.0 before I use it for water changes, are rays out?

For my own curiosity, I will be testing it tonight and tomorrow to see how long it takes to get back to 6.0.

Has anyone checked their pH at this level? Anyone know they are doing this without issues?

Which is why usually the normal practice is to fill in the tank slowly for new and old water to mix but in your case 90%.

As for me when I do WC (60%) once per week , the ph will swing to somewhere near 7.8 +- (probe is in the sump return) from there it will drop slowly till 6.7 in less than an hour I supposed.

My aro and other fishes are not really bothered, he is probably more unhappy if I overdosed safe . but some how I think the swing might be inevitable as there probably need a window period of time for the media to do its work of course unless you have the drip.
Which negates this downside

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie

Did you add prime? Was it still at 7.8?

skytan13

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2017
Asia
Used Safe for my tank which is a 140g and 50g sump , and guessing the 1/6.5 teaspoon is not that easy.

Ordered a set of measuring spoons but its with some postman somewhere.

LoL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store