Food for a small bichir.

samtoney45

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2021
Hello all, I have an ornate bichir, aroung 5-6 inches. Until now I've only fed it bloodworms, but i wish to improve their diet, and I am wondering if high quality sinking pellets are something they would eat, or if they only eat frozen or live food. My problem is that I don't know if its large enough to eat any regular shrimp I can buy, it's mouth simply isnt big enough yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Reactions: tlindsey

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Hello all, I have an ornate bichir, aroung 5-6 inches. Until now I've only fed it bloodworms, but i wish to improve their diet, and I am wondering if high quality sinking pellets are something they would eat, or if they only eat frozen or live food. My problem is that I don't know if its large enough to eat any regular shrimp I can buy, it's mouth simply isnt big enough yet. Any help would be appreciated.
Cut up your seafood, or hikari sinking pellets

The Lost Tapes

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2021
My personal food of choice is Hikari Massivore Delite. I'm pretty sure at its size it can eat it whole, I have a 4in long Delhezi that eats that pellet whole, but if you need to you can break it in half, the Bichir should be large enough to eat that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store