Food Question

Bobby2415

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2019
Was hoping to get some opinions on a matter. I have (4) juvenile midevils growing out in a 90 gallon. Only other tank mates are a BN pleco, Bichir, and Lima Shovelnose Catfish. Right now the only food they will eat are Hikari Carnivore Pellets.
70557E06-34E9-4E57-AC96-E39D1603BC9B.jpegB76C2ED4-D445-420C-9F94-3250EE64984E.jpeg
The only reason the midevils were even introduced to that food was because it was meant for the bichir and catfish. I’m getting close to finishing up the bag of carnivore pellets and am debating on buying more and continuing feeding that, or cut them all off of that and feed a more cichlid base staple pellet. I figure if they don’t eat long enough they will eventually take the new food. Any thoughts/suggestions on whether or not the Hikari carnivore pellets are an ok primary food for midevils, or would you recommend switching over? The only other food they eat is Tetra JumboKrill a couple days a week. Thanks for any input.

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I would switch to cichlid gold. I did that when I ran out of the floating hikari carnivore food (leftover from red belly piranha) and they seem to like it better. My fish are a convict, jack, and parrot (part devil).

Bobby2415

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2019
Would there be any disadvantages of keeping them on the carnivore pellets? I take it there probably isn’t as much plant based stuff in the carnivore pellets, which the midevils would need I assume (since they are an omnivore).

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Would there be any disadvantages of keeping them on the carnivore pellets? I take it there probably isn’t as much plant based stuff in the carnivore pellets, which the midevils would need I assume (since they are an omnivore).
I personally would add what the others have mentioned to a feeding rotation. I try to feed what dietary foods the fish species I keep need. Variety is the key imo.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Too much starch and soy for my taste.. not good for 10 years + of the life if the fish

Reactions: Bobby2415

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Too meaty, most cichlids need some plant in their diet.

Reactions: Bobby2415

Bobby2415

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2019
I personally would add what the others have mentioned to a feeding rotation. I try to feed what dietary foods the fish species I keep need. Variety is the key imo.
Ideally, that is exactly what I would want to do. Unfortunately, I’m just not sure if they will eat anything else if I’m still feeding the carnivore pellets at all.

Bobby2415

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2019
Too much starch and soy for my taste.. not good for 10 years + of the life if the fish
That’s kind of what I was thinking. I imagine the carnivore pellets will help with growth initially but it probably isn’t good for the long term health of fish.

Reactions: Rocksor

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
Just to add to the above suggestions, I like Omega One and ZooMed foods as well. If you want more plant matter in their diets, omega one's sinking veggie pellets have a good ingredients list as does Zoomed's spirulina flake foods.

What is it with Hikari foods though.. Their ingredients never read that impressive, but fish always do well on it and love the stuff.

For my big SA cichlids, they get hikari bio gold + medium pellets (has to have the plus +). Their turds turn to dust with this food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store