Southern California (San Diego)
Reactions: Deadeye

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I’ll stick with freshwater!

That’s a big no for me seriously how do you not notice that thing I understand if it was like a few inches or something but no that’s incredible and disgusting and probably gonna give me nightmares

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
That’s a big no for me seriously how do you not notice that thing I understand if it was like a few inches or something but no that’s incredible and disgusting and probably gonna give me nightmares

That's the downside of Reefkeeping harmful critters hide unknown until it's too late and you have lost expensive fish or invertebrates.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
That thing is seriously creepy dude! I saw a worm in Hawaii. I was snorkeling, and after, I looked at the species, and they are rare, and grow up to 22’

Reactions: Deadeye

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
That's one of the best things about marine tanks. They're not nearly as sterile as freshwater tanks. Lots of little creatures, little surprises and interesting things pop up all the time. The most unexpected thing in any of my FW tanks? Bristlenose babies.

My marine tank when I had it? Saw a big flatworm once, never saw it again. A few stomatella snails. There was a variety of colors of bristleworms, some tubeworms. None of them I added to the tank. Even a few unexpected corals and macroalgaes.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Once had a mantis shrimp come in with live rock. But the best are bristleworms. Still have some now that are almost 10” long. Not recommended to touch them, they are like an earthworm crossed with a cactus and all the spines come out in your hand.
often see my puffer with the spines round his mouth as he loves to challenge them.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Once had a mantis shrimp come in with live rock. But the best are bristleworms. Still have some now that are almost 10” long. Not recommended to touch them, they are like an earthworm crossed with a cactus and all the spines come out in your hand.
often see my puffer with the spines round his mouth as he loves to challenge them.
Oh yeah...They're cool, and fuzzy but nonononono, don't touch DO NOT touch! I'd brush my hand across some of my corals and my anemone cause it was cool how it would stick to my hand. But bristleworms? NOT COOL.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Cooool...
But yeah, I agree with Matteus Matteus ’s idea...
Nice thing about saltwater is all of the crazy stuff. Also the biggest challenge.
This is probably the 3rd worst hitchhiker imo (behind velvet and brook) due to its tank-breaking qualities. These guys are incredibly rare finds though, most likely from a shipment of Fiji or gulf rock. Even mantis are far more common hitchhikers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store