For the first time in 15 years...

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If beside rocks, you mean plants..... most circular, flat shaped South or Central American cichlids are primarily vegetarian.
Sevs, Uaru, Vieja, Cincilichthys, and even many Herichthines are either partially or predominantly plant eaters, and some will gobble down bitter plants even Africans don't like.
Any cichlid that resembles the body, and mouth shape, and colors of the Asian cichlids below, tells you, in nature it favors a lot of leafy food.
Etroplus eating dandilions

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
If beside rocks, you mean plants..... most circular, flat shaped South or Central American cichlids are primarily vegetarian.
Sevs, Uaru, Vieja, Cincilichthys, and even many Herichthines are either partially or predominantly plant eaters, and some will gobble down bitter plants even Africans don't like.
Any cichlid that resembles the body, and mouth shape, and colors of the Asian cichlids below, tells you, in nature it favors a lot of leafy food.
Etroplus eating dandilions

Mostly more driftwood. I know i could have had dw with Malawi cichlids and everything would have been fine, but it never looked right to me.

Not to mention, theres alot of tetras and other peaceful schooling fish that wouldn't stand a chance with predatory haps, but will work great with some NWs.

Last edited:

Carter020108

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2018
Cichlids that work with severums
Green terror
Convict
Parrot
Texas
Festivum blue acara
Oscar
Geophagus
Chocolate cichlid
Uaru
Jack dempsey and all color morphs
Pikes
Salvini
Vieja
Peacock bass
Firemouth
yellow jacket cichlid

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Thats funny I cant wait to get my 180 tang tank set up. I haven't had african cichlids in a very long time. Ive got a few scattered about in random tanks and absolutely just love how they look and behave. Cant wait to get them together in the big tank and see it mature.

Severums are cool too always have had a soft spot for them. My lfs has recently been getting a ton of discus in too some look really nice. I was also debating setting up a Thoricthys tank with some swordtails. Got some of my ideas from Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 tanks. I'm sure you've seen his threads.
Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
While I agree that many of the South American species listed above work with severums, I disagree with many on the list of what is said to work, and although many severum are aquarium strain and superficiously adapted, they originally are evolved to live in soft, less than nuetral pH waters. While many of the Centrals listed come from high pH, hard waters of Central America,and Mexico.
And the aggression level of many of those Centrals is much more heightened and territorial than their South American cousins.
And although you may not experience problems right away, down the road, health issues often show up as HLLE and other water parameter stress problems.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
While I agree that many of the South American species listed above work with severums, I disagree with many on the list of what is said to work, and although many severum are aquarium strain and superficiously adapted, they originally are evolved to live in soft, less than nuetral pH waters. While many of the Centrals listed come from high pH, hard waters of Central America,and Mexico.
And the aggression level of many of those Centrals is much more heightened and territorial than their South American cousins.
And although you may not experience problems right away, down the road, health issues often show up as HLLE and other water parameter stress problems.
You should take that post with a grain of salt. It's been explained in painful detail more times then I can count.

Reactions: neutrino
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store