For the love of cats!

cassharper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Mansfield, Texas
So all except one of my tanks are sealed pretty tightly because of one thing: cats. The only tank that's not is my 55g planted in the living room. One cat won't jump on it (he's kinda stupid), and the will jump on the lights and drink out of it (no harm, no foul); it's normally a live and let live situation.

That all changed today when I forgot to feed the cats. Now I know what you're thinking, "OH NO, THE CAT GOT A FISH"... nothing so sinister, our cat's don't even have claws. One thing my cat did think would be an easy treat is to pry the door of the auto feeder all the way open. I'm assuming she found out rather quickly that the hole was way to small to get anything out of, so she left it alone.

I come home tonight and see that the tank looks brighter than usual, BECAUSE THE LIGHT WAS REFLECTING OFF THE DECAYED FOOD! For the love of crap I grabbed the python and immediately did a 75% water change, and there's still food all over the bottom. I did a count when I was done and some brevis that were inhabiting the bottom where white, the apistos and tetras looked kinda dark, and the angels were awefully still (I know, it's a hodge podge sort of situation), but everyone was at least alive. The water coming out did smell TERRIBLE, though.

Everyone is acting semi-normal and I doubled up on prime to help with any spikes in ammonia and all that goodness. No salt this time, we got plants. I will not be feeding for a while on this tank, and if I do get another auto feeder it won't be drum style; but the kind that has seperated compartments that dump in on a timer.

I hate cats.

dmed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio, US
My dog gets jealous of the fish - they get lots of different kinds of food, some even come out of the freezer. One night when were weren't home, she just had to try these flakes:

Bethany

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2007
Erie, PA
my dog chases my fish, and tried to pounce on the aquarium, needless to say my fish aren't fond on my boston terrier [who looks more like a gorilla], they swim to the back of the tank, as water splashes from the opening for the filter. while feeding he knocked more thn enough food out of my hand and into the poor fish tank...stupid mammal

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
My Golden tried to eat a bag of algae wafers once. Along with anything else he can reach. One of the cats likes to slap the betta tank, betta ignores him.

rmorse

Gr8 Stalker
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Great Mills, Maryland
Came home the other day to find three bags of Hikari Cichlid Pellets shredded, and my dogs looking at me like, "What?"

Jfitz

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Montreal
the other day my food hound (yellow lab... ya i know lol) decided to randomly come charging in while i was feeding my fish flakes. He ran into me and i dropped the whole thing of flakes everywhere and to my surprise my dog ate most of them off the ground ridiculously fast lol.

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
I haven't had fish for a while, so this story deoesn't include fish but it's the Cold War, Part II:
My 4 yr old Snowshoe mix, part Siamese and part Turtle Shell, Starr, jumps up on my dresser and pulls out one of my Blue Budgie, Swoop's tail feathers. A few weeks l8ter, Starr tries to do it AGAIN. Arrow, my Yellow/Gren Budgie was ready, taking a bite of Starr's nose!! :headbang2
She had it coming. Now my birds live downstairs at my Great Grandma's house below my house, but Starr still manages to go down and terrorrize them... __
Bom bom BOM. d d

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store