Four esok aka Probarbus labeamajor at Fish Story

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Two of the 4 esoks have been showing milky uneven slime, still feed and behave normal but likely external parasite problem:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Two of 4 esoks have been infected with something for the past 2-3 months that had come with an illegal crayfish colonizer from the wild:

Redshark1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
Viktor you have many, many amazing and fascinating fish but these may be my favourites. Many things appeal to me. Of course they are big and impressive like most of your fish and four is better than one. But they also have a special loveable character about them that appeals to me with their big head, eye and mouth and that wonderful streamlined shape and eye-catching pattern of incredible stripes. Superb fish.

Thankyou for sharing all these wonderful fish! Your collection is a fantastic achievement to an ordinary aquarist like me.

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
ID pointers, julienni vs labeamajor:

ID is inconclusive. I dug around hard but couldn't find anything definitive to ID jullieni from labeamajor and labeaminor.

This paper may describe it but no free access to it. Is ANYONE out here with access to the Research Gate?

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Dr. Ng kindly gave us the relevant excerpt from that article, per the Planet Catfish thread linked above:

Untitled-1.jpg

Reactions: Fishman Dave

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Our four 6.5yo display 7 stripes. IDK what "bold" means, it is not a precise term. I can clearly see and count 7 and the middle 5 are the thickest. There is a faint and short one right below the dorsal fin - 8th?? You can count them and see them as well as I can, e.g. in the video thumbnail above. I'd say I see 6 bold stripes, if the last one, the lowest on the tummy, can be deemed not as prominent.

Plus the lips on our 4 are indeed protruding a bit at the mouth corners.

So I conclude ours are labeamajor, not jullieni.

Reactions: Fishman Dave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store