Frame Cracked HELP

JardiniArowanaKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2017
The black frame around my 220g marineland cracked in three spots. The three spots are were the contact points are the the tank and stand touch. Is this tank ruined? What should I do. Cracks are front left front middle and front right. Just bought a week ago from craigslist. I was concerned when I got the stand cause the tank only touches on the middle and edges but anyone please comment and help. Thank you.

815113D5-4AB8-43B4-85CC-AA2E7F70CD65.jpeg

86C47B23-7938-4B66-9DE7-229E48C7E13C.jpeg

09F199F1-4652-46B8-8D52-62BDA0DDF45D.jpeg

A9E8E64B-5505-4A93-876A-1A455EBF1FAE.jpeg

Last edited:

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
My 180 developed cracks in the top frame most likely due to poor handling in shipping but there is enough silicone around the rim that it hasn't seperated. I have a new frame waiting if it does.

My best guess would be that yours cracked because of the uneven distribution across the frame. There is a lot of silicone under there holding the frame on, enough that you'd have a heck of a time removing the frame. I've had to use a heat gun, a 2x4 and a mallet to knock one off before. Albeit unsightly, it may not cause any issues, but it's a gamble.

Factory stands are built pretty poorly and tank frames aren't always even depending on the silicone dispersion between tank / frame. I shimmed my home built stand between the 2x4's and plywood top to make it flush with the frame.

JardiniArowanaKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2017
My 180 developed cracks in the top frame most likely due to poor handling in shipping but there is enough silicone around the rim that it hasn't seperated. I have a new frame waiting if it does.

My best guess would be that yours cracked because of the uneven distribution across the frame. There is a lot of silicone under there holding the frame on, enough that you'd have a heck of a time removing the frame. I've had to use a heat gun, a 2x4 and a mallet to knock one off before. Albeit unsightly, it may not cause any issues, but it's a gamble.

Factory stands are built pretty poorly and tank frames aren't always even depending on the silicone dispersion between tank / frame. I shimmed my home built stand between the 2x4's and plywood top to make it flush with the frame.
Thank you so much for everyone’s help, is it okay if the stand only touches in the corners and middle? should i put a piece of wood like in the sections where it’s like floating.

Preacher

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
west tennessee
As far as the cracked frame I had a similar situation on my 240. I used JB weld. I would diffently shim to make the frame touch all around. That’s just my two cent.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store