Frayed or ripped disc

FWSKY

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2020
Just a guess here but I am assuming this is your first ray in that tank? If so I noticed you have substrate in the tank from the picture you posted. Rays love to dig in the sand it is a natural behavior for them they are playing in it or foraging for food. The problem with this is if the sand has been there for awhile and is deep enough it harbors anaerobic bacteria. Once the ray stirs that sand up and starts digging down in it they are pretty much sitting on bacteria and with rays being scaleless it doesn't take long to attack their skin. If you don't have a spare tank I would run to Wal-Mart and buy the biggest plastic storage bin they have and move that ray out of that tank. Try salt and clean water for now if it doesn't slow down or stop in a few days maybe try meds. Here is the sticky posted on here for recommended medicine to use on rays.

Reactions: Preacher

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
Just a guess here but I am assuming this is your first ray in that tank? If so I noticed you have substrate in the tank from the picture you posted. Rays love to dig in the sand it is a natural behavior for them they are playing in it or foraging for food. The problem with this is if the sand has been there for awhile and is deep enough it harbors anaerobic bacteria. Once the ray stirs that sand up and starts digging down in it they are pretty much sitting on bacteria and with rays being scaleless it doesn't take long to attack their skin. If you don't have a spare tank I would run to Wal-Mart and buy the biggest plastic storage bin they have and move that ray out of that tank. Try salt and clean water for now if it doesn't slow down or stop in a few days maybe try meds. Here is the sticky posted on here for recommended medicine to use on rays.

Thank u the sand in the tank is only a inch thick if that prob not even that deep and I siphon it every week

FWSKY

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2020
This is what I was meaning to say.

In aquariums, hydrogen sulfide is created by the anaerobic bacteria that live within the substrate of the tank. In small quantities, this gas releases itself from the substrate in the form of bubbles. ... When present in filters, fish are more likely to die as hydrogen sulfide keeps being added to the water.

Reactions: Preacher

Preacher

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
west tennessee
This is just a question. I noticed the sand is pink. Is it naturally pink or dyed pink? If it is dyed could it be the dye burning the ray?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store