Frequently Asked Questions about the Northern Snakehead for the state of maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.

WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
Frequently Asked Questions about the Northern Snakehead

Index of Questions:
What's the fuss?
What can we do?
What is Maryland doing?
What information is needed?
What do I get?
What will DNR do with the fish?
What fish may be confused with northern snakeheads?
Do snakeheads really walk on land and breathe air?
What do snakeheads look like?
Can a snakehead hurt me?
What can I do with aquarium fish that I can no longer care for?
Why can't I release my fish in a pond or stream?
Why are non-native fish such a problem?
How did snakeheads get here?
Are snakeheads good to eat?
Is it legal to have a snakehead fish?
What's the fuss? Back to Top

On May 7, 2004, an angler caught the first northern snakehead from a Potomac River tributary, Little Hunting Creek in Virginia. Since then, northern snakeheads have been taken from tributaries on both the Maryland and Virginia sides of the Potomac River, including: Lttle Hunting Creek, Dogue Creek, Pohick Bay, Mason Neck Bay, Kanes Creek, Marshall Hall, Pomonkey Creek, and Mattawoman Creek. Most captures have been in Little Hunting and Dogue Creeks. The fish are generally taken in shallow water (<2’) near aquatic vegetation. A variety of lures have been used although soft plastics seem to have an advantage. Most of the fish are in the 12-18” size range and two aging techniques (scales & otoliths) indicate they are 2-4 years old.

What can we do? Back to Top

Anglers should report all catches of snakehead fish to a resource management agency:

Maryland DNR - 877 620 8367 ext 8320 or direct to 410 260 8320

USFWS - 410 263 2604 or toll free 800 448 8322

Virginia DGIF - 804 367 1000 web page is www.dgif.state.va.us

D.C. Fisheries

Potomac River Fisheries Commission - 804 224 7148

What is Maryland doing? Back to Top

DNR is trying to determine the exact locations for snakeheads. Anglers are the best source of information because they are fishing with many different gear types in all areas of the river. To help anglers identify snakeheads the DNR is posting access points with wanted posters describing the fish and providing contact information. Fact sheets provided by USFWS are being distributed to tackle stores and access points.

What information is needed? Back to Top

Everything. First the DNR needs the fish to make a positive identification and determine if the fish is a potential spawner. Anglers should also note exact capture location, habitat (grass bed, submerged structure, hard versus soft bottom . . .) lure or bait, depth, time of day, tidal stage and of course the angler's name, phone number, and address.
What do I get?

For a valid angler return of a northern snakehead fish caught in state waters, anglers will receive a Maryland DNR Snakehead Wrangler Hat and plenty of media attention.

What will DNR do with the fish?

First, a positive identification is needed. Next biologists will measure all identifying characteristics, determine age, and examine the gonads to determine sex and maturity.

What fish may be confused with northern snakeheads? Back to Top

Blennies, hake, lampreys, mudminnows, bowfin, walleye, gar, lizard fish, and even salamanders have all been confused with snakeheads. A careful comparison with the fact sheets will help solve many identification questions.

Do snakeheads really walk on land and breathe air? Back to Top

Northern snakeheads are not physically adapted to walk, however, they could wriggle through mud or wet grass. This ability may be somewhat enhanced because snakeheads can breathe air directly. Don't expect to see one slithering across the street - they would dry out and die.

What do snakeheads look like? Back to Top

See fact sheet and poster at : http://www.dgif.state.va.us/fishing/snakehead_comparisons.pdf

Can a snakehead hurt me? Back to Top

Many fish including native pickerel, seatrout, walleye, and bluefish have teeth, as do snakeheads. It would certainly hurt if any of these fish bit you. If bitten by a fish you should immediately cleanse the wound thoroughly, apply disinfectant/antibiotic ointment and seek appropriate medical attention.

What can I do with aquarium fish that I can no longer care for? Back to Top

Pet fish and other animals may be returned to some pet stores. Check with the store first or soon you can check the website of Maryland Association of Pet Industries at www.mdapi.com. Fish may also be simply euthanized by freezing and then disposed in household garbage.

Why can't I release my fish in a pond or stream? Back to Top

First it is illegal to release fish in state waters. This regulation is necessary to prevent the introduction of disease or parasites from new sources and to protect native fish populations, which are not adapted to competition from other fish. In general, each system is already filled to capacity. The addition of other fish is simply too much for the system and will likely result in loss of native fish.

Why are non-native fish such a problem? Back to Top

Maryland ecosystems are adapted for native fish that have evolved to live in balance with each other. Non-native fish are not part of the natural system. The typical sequence is that the non-native fish population grows very rapidly and displaces the native. The effect on the ecosystem dynamics could jeopardize a billion dollar a year industry.
How did snakeheads get here? Back to Top

The northern snakehead is considered a desirable food item in some Asian cuisine and was imported for the live fish market. Other snakehead species were imported for the aquarium pet trade.

Are snakeheads good to eat? Back to Top

I have not eaten a snakehead but am told the flesh is a mild white meat. Some Asian cultures consider snakeheads to have medicinal properties.

Is it legal to have a snakehead fish? Back to Top

Currently, it is legal to possess live snakeheads in Maryland. The Department has proposed a regulation to prohibit the possession of any live snakehead including aquarium species. Public comment will be taken until August 9, after which the Department will decide to adopt as proposed or to re-propose an amended regulation.

WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
DNR Proposes Modified Snakehead Fish Regulations
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANNAPOLIS -- The Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) today proposed new regulations to restrict the possession of snakehead fish.

The regulations require the approval of the General Assembly’s Administrative, Executive, and Legislative Review Committee.

In an effort to fully incorporate public comments received, DNR withdrew the previously proposed snakehead regulations, which called for the prohibition of the possession of all species of live snakehead fish (family: Channidae) in the State.

The modified regulations will prohibit the live possession of two species of snakehead fish: Channa argus (Northern snakehead) and Channa maculata (blotched snakehead).

The Northern and blotched snakehead fish are both temperate species. The natural range of these species suggests they pose a long-term threat to ecosystem balance and warrant stringent regulation. These snakehead fish will only be allowed through a DNR permit for scientific purposes.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service declared snakehead fishes injurious to the wildlife and wildlife resources of the United States in October of 2002. This action prohibited the importation or interstate transport of all live snakehead fish without a permit. The proposed action will complement federal rule by prohibiting the importation and transportation of any live fish or viable eggs of snakehead fishes of the family Channidae in the State. In addition, the proposed regulation will prohibit the sale and breeding of snakehead fish of the family Channidae in order to prevent ownership of new snakehead fish.

A public hearing will be held on the permanent regulation proposal at the DNR C-1 Conference Room, Tawes State Office Building, 580 Taylor Avenue, Annapolis, MD on Nov.10 at 6 p.m. Comments may be submitted at the hearing, via fax at (410) 260-8279, or via an form off the DNR web site at http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries.

WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
Snakehead Ban Changed
Associated Press
Sunday, September 5, 2004; Page SM07

Maryland officials have revised a ban on snakeheads.

Regulations that were scheduled to take effect later this month would have outlawed all 29 varieties of the fish, but the Department of Natural Resources said last week that it will ban only the northern snakehead.

_____Snakeheads_____

• Contest Nets Fish Tales but Nary a Snakehead (The Washington Post, Sep 5, 2004)
• Scientists Still at Sea Over Snakeheads (The Washington Post, Sep 4, 2004)
• River Roundup Comes Up Snake Eyes (The Washington Post, Jul 31, 2004)
• Fish's Fans Ask: What's Not to Love? (The Washington Post, Jul 8, 2004)
• A Consuming Fear for Fishermen (The Washington Post, Jul 4, 2004)
• Full Snakehead Coverage

Free E-mail Newsletters
Today's Headlines & Columnists
See a Sample | Sign Up Now
Breaking News Alerts
See a Sample | Sign Up Now

The decision means residents will be able to keep tropical varieties as pets.

The DNR's director of fisheries, Howard King, said tropical varieties of the snakehead are not a threat to area waterways because they cannot survive the region's cold winters. Northern snakeheads were found in a Crofton pond two years ago and in a Wheaton pond this spring. In the past several months nearly 20 of the northern variety have been caught in the Potomac River and its tributaries.

The northern snakehead is an Asian import that preys on other species, can breathe air and survives for up to three days on land.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store