Freshwater Flounder

hemiboo

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Charleston, SC
Can anyone give me some info on freshwater flounders, like are they particular to any water parameters or temperatures? My local fish guy said bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp and other live/frozen food. Would they be fine with a pair of rams and maybe some tetra's in a 20 gallon (until I get something bigger for it). I'm going with a sand bottom with a few plastic plants. Two bucks for a 1-2" flounder. I'm only getting one to try things out, but it won't be for a few days, I need to get the sand in it. This will be my first time with sand so some tips on sand would help too.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
They can be fin nippers and as they get bigger they eat small fish, there are several species sold and some require a little salt. It would help to know which species you had. Some get 6-8" others max out at under 3" and a few require an unheated tank.

hemiboo

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Charleston, SC
I'm just gathering facts on them now, I don't know what species they are until they come in. I wish I knew it would make researching easier. :confused:

lizardfishman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Oregon
my lfs has some that are 1-2" long. i want some but i dont know what to feed them. will they eat frozen brine shrimp?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
They will eat frozen brine shrimp, sinking granules, frozen black or tubifex worms, minced fish/shrimp/clams/worms, but do best one appropriately sized live food such as guppy fry, brine shrimp, and various worms. A 3" one will easily clear out all your small tetras.

rasdbo

420man
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2005
near purple indo lake
LFS has some in. he said it was a chinese flounder for $9 @ 3-4". Might get one for the 30, got enough bottom in the 120.

Will try to get a pic. He said they've been eating flakes. tried searching for em but I get more recipes than fish info. here's 1 decent site
http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddball, Flounder.htm

fishnthings

" id rather be a goldfish "
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
Pensacola
ive been thinking of getting a flounder... sounds like they might be kind of cool!

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
'Chinese Flounder' I would assume to actually be the asian hillstream loach or whatever they call it.. An actual loach that is flat and looks like the FW flounder..

The FW flounder that come out of the peruvian amazon are Achirus Lineatus (sp), and I believe they are the more aggressive counterpart that max out at around 6-8"..

aquariageek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
Pennsylvania, USA
FW Flounder go pretty fast out of my LFS. However, be careful as they are not truly FW- they are brackish- as they spawn in FW and move into saltwater. I acquired two 'FW Flounder" and both died within a week of being in my tank. I am not sure wether they were not eating or if they need more salt then the 1 TBSP per 5 Gallon I use. My girlfriend's mother is fascinated with them, she has at least 6 in her FW tank. She puts a sprinkle of table salt in ( :screwy: she wont listen to me!) and the eldest flounder has already died. I would make sure you keep your water at the right salinity- maybe even increase it gradually as they age. Make sure you feed them bloodworms or something of the like. They are not very fond of flakes.

Heres a few shots of them pre-death :cry:

fwflounder1.jpg

fwflounder2.jpg

Kieranuk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
England, UK
I used to have a FW flounder but they don't seem to travel well even in short distances. I was at a totally new LFS and saw it and had to have it. THey bagged it up with alot of water and hardly any oxygen and it was around 30 min before I got home. It was ok but didnt like to good and in 48 hours it was curled up dead :(. I returned it to the shop and they asked for a water sample. Somehow on their tests my water had super high ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and my PH was about 6.0. I was worried for my other fish but when I tested my water myself it was perfect 0 ammonia 0 nitrita 15 nitrate (no where near the 300 they said). I then went to another shop and they also found my water to be spot on. When I went back with another water sample they tested my water and again they were saying how bad it was and saying I needed a RO unit and special sponges in my tank to stop nitrate. I then walked over to their discus tank and asked if my water would be ok for one and they said yeah, it will be fine. I then realised they knew that they should have refunded me the money for the flounder but they wouldn't so I havent returned since :-(. There not really a cheap fish at the size I got so I wasnt too happy. Anyway I included some pics of the bried time it was alive.

DSC00065.JPG

DSC00066.JPG

DSC00076.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store