Freshwater left eyed flounders?

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
I got a 6in freshwater flounder recently that I have been trying to identify. It came from Aqua Imports and was caught in columbia. They list it as
South American Freshwater Flounder (Trinectes cf. hubbsbollinger). I noticed that it has its eyes on the left side (lays down on the right) and that many of the freshwater soles have . It also has a rather large mouth that looks hinged. currently keeping it in freshwater. Anyone have a guess as to what species it is or at least what genus or family it might be from? Will post some pictures shortly

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I'd put my bet on it being a sole of some kind. Looks too elongated for a flounder but then again I'm no expert.

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
the only thing is all of the soles from Columbia that I could find have rather small mouths while this one has a large, somewhat pointed mouth. Closest one so far seems to be the Citharichthys gilberti (bigmouth sanddab) Honestly it looks like a mini california halibut (which I know it is not one). What makes it hard to figure out is nothing I find seems to have a similar jaw to it

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
the only thing is all of the soles from Columbia that I could find have rather small mouths while this one has a large, somewhat pointed mouth. Closest one so far seems to be the Citharichthys gilberti (bigmouth sanddab) Honestly it looks like a mini california halibut (which I know it is not one). What makes it hard to figure out is nothing I find seems to have a similar jaw to it
Definitely looks like some type of sole. How big is he

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store