Freshwater Lion Fish -Batrachomoeus trispinosus

ARKproject

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2018
I just picked up what I believe is a Batrachomoeus trispinosus.
He's only around 2 inches now, and I have him quarantined in a 10 gal.
I'm keeping him slightly bracksih. I noticed a small amount of white fungus on one of his fins.
Any advice?
I've boosted the temp to 80 degrees and have been just added a half dose of Seacham Paraguard due to the fish being scaleless.

Any advice or tips on the fungus or tips on the species is appreciated. Not too much info out there :(

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I just picked up what I believe is a Batrachomoeus trispinosus.
He's only around 2 inches now, and I have him quarantined in a 10 gal.
I'm keeping him slightly bracksih. I noticed a small amount of white fungus on one of his fins.
Any advice?
I've boosted the temp to 80 degrees and have been just added a half dose of Seacham Paraguard due to the fish being scaleless.

Any advice or tips on the fungus or tips on the species is appreciated. Not too much info out there :(
If Seachem Paraguard doesn't cure it.
Look up API fungus cure and see if you can treat with that if necessary.

Reactions: ARKproject

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
they will need a higher salt level. The reason for fungus is mostly because of a to low salt level for the fish.
A freshwater lionfish doesnt excist. They can survive for a period in freshwater. But these guys are a horror to keep.
They get big... They make a lot of sound in the night, it will really scare the **** out of you the first time u hear it. After that u will laugh because of it. And after 20 times it will make you mad because you will not sleep...

They need a heavy saltinity around 2.5% to 3% salinity density (specific gravity 1.020 to 1.024) for the long term. And if im correct 1,020 is almost saltwater.... I wanted to keep them aswell a long time ago but after reading this i dropped the idea.

Reactions: FishBeast
they will need a higher salt level. The reason for fungus is mostly because of a to low salt level for the fish.
A freshwater lionfish doesnt excist. They can survive for a period in freshwater. But these guys are a horror to keep.
They get big... They make a lot of sound in the night, it will really scare the **** out of you the first time u hear it. After that u will laugh because of it. And after 20 times it will make you mad because you will not sleep...

They need a heavy saltinity around 2.5% to 3% salinity density (specific gravity 1.020 to 1.024) for the long term. And if im correct 1,020 is almost saltwater.... I wanted to keep them aswell a long time ago but after reading this i dropped the idea.
You're missing out...these guys are my favorite fish. Agree, I keep them in full salt and never had problems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store