Freshwater moray

SLS_23

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2018
Czech Republic
Thank you all for your advice. Although I really like moray eels and I would like to get them, I can't have brackish water and I wouldn't like to torture them in freshwater. Polyuranadon is too expensive, but I will watch the stores if they ever appear at a reasonable price. Otherwise I'll buy a Fire eel.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
As others have said, g. Tile is a brackish eel and does better at high brackish.
Polyuranodon is the only true fresh, big huge and expensive.
If you want an eel like fish compatible with cichlids, you would be well off with bichirs or a fire eel.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
There's more than a few non-moray like freshwater eels available, tire track, black spotted which are less than $75. Heck if you have a big enough tank, a South American Lungfish (less than $50 at 3") is friendly enough to commune with moderately aggressive cichlids.

SLS_23

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2018
Czech Republic
I looked at Lungfish, I have 1500 liters (320x60x80cm). I looked at the lungfish, but they're nowhere to be found here

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
I personally like Poly more but didn't want to take out that much money so I instead got a Tile. Can say I'm satisfied, been almost a year now but I do NOT recommend keeping in freshwater. I've had mine in brackish from the start. Maybe consider the Pink-Lipped Moray? Usually about $50 or so and have a decent fresh tolerance to my understanding. Fair warning though, they are rare, even online

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I personally like Poly more but didn't want to take out that much money so I instead got a Tile. Can say I'm satisfied, been almost a year now but I do NOT recommend keeping in freshwater. I've had mine in brackish from the start. Maybe consider the Pink-Lipped Moray? Usually about $50 or so and have a decent fresh tolerance to my understanding. Fair warning though, they are rare, even online
Haven’t heard of these, very cool. Seems to be a similar salinity to tile, but nice to see another brackish eel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store