Freshwater stingrays book online

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Just in case you didn't know there are stickie threads here that has all the info you need to know about Freshwater Stingray. Also experienced members who have Freshwater Stingray and breed them. I'm quite sure some of them will chime in.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Breeding stingrays is like breeding guppys but bigger. A well balanced diet clean water and a large tank with 1 male and id go with 2 females at least. Some species take longer time then other to mature. And many people say start with an motoro because they are hardier and cheaper i say go and buy the ray you fancy. What ever you do dont buy an skinny ray or an ray thats not that active.

IMHO an bd, henlei or lets say p14 aint harder to keep then an motoro or pearl or any other brown rays. There is some species that is for more experienced keepers like schroderi or menchacai for example but at least where i live we hardly ever see anything else then the most common species of brown and black rays. I keep my mature and large rays in about 26-27c and pups i keep in almost 29c.

Get as big of a tank you can get and be prepared on huger filtrationsystems like large moving bed sumps and beadfilters. Or why not an beadfilter and some large showerfilters. For large tanks you need large filters so you should look in on pond equipment in stead of normal aquariumfiltration except for sumps.

I feed my rays 5 out of 7 days a week and change about 80% water once a week in my large tank. The smaller grow out tanks i change 40% twice a week due to heavy feeding.

Rays are very sensitive to ammonia and nitrite and produces 95% more pure ammonia then any other freshwater fish due to their osmosis regulation system. Thats why you will want a big tank with heavy filtration.

jim barry jim barry
ShadowStryder ShadowStryder
Malte81 Malte81
Anything you guys wanna add on this subject. I think i covered the most basic stuff.

zapatower

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Breeding stingrays is like breeding guppys but bigger. A well balanced diet clean water and a large tank with 1 male and id go with 2 females at least. Some species take longer time then other to mature. And many people say start with an motoro because they are hardier and cheaper i say go and buy the ray you fancy. What ever you do dont buy an skinny ray or an ray thats not that active.

IMHO an bd, henlei or lets say p14 aint harder to keep then an motoro or pearl or any other brown rays. There is some species that is for more experienced keepers like schroderi or menchacai for example but at least where i live we hardly ever see anything else then the most common species of brown and black rays. I keep my mature and large rays in about 26-27c and pups i keep in almost 29c.

Get as big of a tank you can get and be prepared on huger filtrationsystems like large moving bed sumps and beadfilters. Or why not an beadfilter and some large showerfilters. For large tanks you need large filters so you should look in on pond equipment in stead of normal aquariumfiltration except for sumps.

I feed my rays 5 out of 7 days a week and change about 80% water once a week in my large tank. The smaller grow out tanks i change 40% twice a week due to heavy feeding.

Rays are very sensitive to ammonia and nitrite and produces 95% more pure ammonia then any other freshwater fish due to their osmosis regulation system. Thats why you will want a big tank with heavy filtration.

jim barry jim barry
ShadowStryder ShadowStryder
Malte81 Malte81
Anything you guys wanna add on this subject. I think i covered the most basic stuff.
How many stingrays do you have, now? I had a pair of motoro stingray and other fishes, the tap water had a pH drop five months ago, for this cause, all my fishes died, except a peacock bass. I didn´t mesure this parameter pH. My tank project is to reproduce stingrays, the tank lenghts 180 x 90 x 60 with 850 liters. It's ok to reproduce a pair of motoro stingrays? I looking forward your response.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
How many stingrays do you have, now? I had a pair of motoro stingray and other fishes, the tap water had a pH drop five months ago, for this cause, all my fishes died, except a peacock bass. I didn´t mesure this parameter pH. My tank project is to reproduce stingrays, the tank lenghts 180 x 90 x 60 with 850 liters. It's ok to reproduce a pair of motoro stingrays? I looking forward your response.
At this momen i have 7 rays. I have sold of alot of rays.

I would say that tank is way to small for rays in the long term. Motoros can reach 70-80cm wd.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store