freshwater sump

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
does anyone know exactly how the good bacteria work in a freshwater sump? i am so confused about it. Is there ever extra bacteria? How do i know if I can remove something from the system (like a canister filter from the old tank) i feed these fish a lot. i want to have the this filter set up the best it can be.

View attachment 1512455

View attachment 1512456

View attachment 1512457

View attachment 1512458

View attachment 1512459

View attachment 1512460

View attachment 1512461

View attachment 1512462

View attachment 1512463
Post #14 may be the answer you are looking for until others chime in.
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/nitrifying-bacteria.738942/post-8454229

Onyx4476

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2023
south east michigan
www.sandjplumbingmi.com
Post #14 may be the answer you are looking for until others chime in.
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/nitrifying-bacteria.738942/post-8454229
that was great information. thank you. i think my lfs likes to sell me things i may not need. I’m still unsure what is needed and what is not. the post seemed to imply not very much is needed. i want to stock my 450 and let them grow to full size without issues (lol). 4 male rays and 1 female ray with bichirs etc.

Reactions: tlindsey

Onyx4476

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2023
south east michigan
www.sandjplumbingmi.com
Testing parameters after removal of the filter.
i test with api drops every day. i literally just got thru a mini cycle that was stressing me out like crazy. its been good for 7 days straight now. im not sure if i want to mess with it until i fully understand exactly how all this works. if its based on the amount of fish, not media, then is everyone just guessing when they do their filtration?

Onyx4476

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2023
south east michigan
www.sandjplumbingmi.com
i test with api drops every day. i literally just got thru a mini cycle that was stressing me out like crazy. its been good for 7 days straight now. im not sure if i want to mess with it until i fully understand exactly how all this works. if its based on the amount of fish, not media, then is everyone just guessing when they do their filtration?

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The concept of a freshwater sump, is no different than a salt water sump
Ammonia and nitrite consuming bacteria use and detoxify those chemicals, and their population will coinside with the waste output of fish, and other metabolism in your tank.
Plants will consume some nitrate, and other nutrients, if you have enough of them.
To consume all the nitrate produced by fish, you will need at least 10 times by weight the amount of plants, compared to fish.
Much like a saltwater sump/refugium there are animals that can be added to a fresh water refugium.
In a salt version you might use lots of marine algae like caulerpa, or mangrove trees, and may also use marine shrimp.
In fresh water there are even more plant possibilities, because there are terrestrial, semi aquatic and aquatic, I use all three.
IMG_4546.jpegIMG_6190.jpeg
Above terrestrial and semi aquatic plants in the main tank.
Below my sump filled with submerged aquatic plants like Vallisneria and hydriilla
IMG_6829.jpeg
But also like to add known nutrient users like salviina, lilies, and even mangrove trees, the sump above has about a dozen mangrove tree saplings.
Once a tank is completely cycled, I don't concern myself with bio-media, because evert surface (including plants) becomes a biofilm-bacteria substrate.
I also use a population of shrimp in the sump to help break down, melting plant parts into more useable substances by plants, and any fish foodr that might over flow into the sump .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store