from the reef to the tank

dcmsnate

Feeder Fish
Feb 27, 2006
okinawa, japan
i live in okinawa, japan and would like to start a 55 g FOWLR in my home. im no where near ready i think i can start maybe 6 months from now. i was just wondering since i live so close to the reef if it is ok to take any species from the ocean. by ok i mean will they live content and happy lives in captivity. my other question is if so what species would be best suited for a 55 g home. i am quite new to salt water tanks and am trying to avoid the unfortunate rookie mistakes. any advice would be appreciated and well considered.

mainy999

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2006
Pennsylvania
You're going to have to check if it is even LEGAL for you to take things off the reef. If its protected, you probably shouldnt take anything out of the ocean (unless you are very sneaky) As for species to start, I would put damsles in to cycle the tank, and then pretty much go for what you want. I would recommend fairly hardy fish such as clownfish, just because you are new at it...when you become more experienced, you can go with less hardy fish.

Syffe457

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2006
United States
Well i wouldent recomend that you tank somthing off a reef and put it in you tank for a couple of reasons. First since you new to the hobbie you might not know what it is you have taken or how to tank care of it, second transporting the fish safely with-out stress it can be hard, and last in might not be legal for you to tank any thing, i recomend you go to your'r local dealer and get your fish from there. Good luck with you tank.

dcmsnate

Feeder Fish
Feb 27, 2006
okinawa, japan
i never thought about the legal aspect of it. i dont think the reef is protected and the japanese people fish the reef constantly. but i think better safe than sorry. thank you for your help

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store