Fry food - is live essential .. best kinds etc - opinions - results

Is live food essential to raise healthy fry?

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Tomt37

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2017
Recently started breeding projects again - what are your thoughts on first stage feeding - is dry food enough - only live brineshrimp? A mix of both? Anyone tried ocean nutrition prehatched brineshrimp.. hikari first bites? Any others? Tips for microworms etc - just looking for feeding tips experiences etc

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Recently started breeding projects again - what are your thoughts on first stage feeding - is dry food enough - only live brineshrimp? A mix of both? Anyone tried ocean nutrition prehatched brineshrimp.. hikari first bites? Any others? Tips for microworms etc - just looking for feeding tips experiences etc

I would say yes to all baby bbs, microworms, and pellet. Unless you have a unfinished basement or room from everyone else microworms can be a smelly situation lol. I have been cultivating with the same batch for over 4 years now very simple to culture.

Tomt37

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2017
Thanks .. ordered a culture arriving tomorrow so hopefully I can add microworms in in a few days .. I'll keep the microworms in the hall

Reactions: tlindsey

Tomt37

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2017
How long before I can start harvesting off oatmeal do ya reckon - I'll keep them warm

Tomt37

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2017
Oh so is the yeast for b vitamins etc? Can you explain what bits I'm missing .. so make oatmeal .. spread worms over ...wait until they grow up the side and harvest - do you add to water before you put in tank or just straight in etc? Soz for all questions - never tried before and I'm over hatching brineshrimp twice a day lol

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Oh so is the yeast for b vitamins etc? Can you explain what bits I'm missing .. so make oatmeal .. spread worms over ...wait until they grow up the side and harvest - do you add to water before you put in tank or just straight in etc? Soz for all questions - never tried before and I'm over hatching brineshrimp twice a day lol
I spread about 1 1/2 inch of dry quick oats evenly in the container. Then sprinkle dry active yeast over the top of oatmeal and you don't need much yeast. Last add distilled water to oatmeal and stir with spoon until it is like a peanut butter texture not to wet or dry. Spread your new culture on top of the oatmeal and in a few days you will notice the worms crawling up the sides of the container. Whenever I start the batches over I only use the worms on the sides not in the medium. You will have more than you want lol. You can change them out every 15 days or longer.

Reactions: Tomt37

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I spread about 1 1/2 inch of dry quick oats evenly in the container. Then sprinkle dry active yeast over the top of oatmeal and you don't need much yeast. Last add distilled water to oatmeal and stir with spoon until it is like a peanut butter texture not to wet or dry. Spread your new culture on top of the oatmeal and in a few days you will notice the worms crawling up the sides of the container. Whenever I start the batches over I only use the worms on the sides not in the medium. You will have more than you want lol. You can change them out every 15 days or longer.

The micro worms feed off the yeast.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The micro worms feed off the yeast.
Used the tip of a floor nail to put holes in the container lids. They must be small enough so fruit flies can't crawl in. The smell of the yeast will attract fruit flies. I only have fruit flies in the house when my wife brings bananas home lol. Never had a fruit fly get in any of my batches.

Reactions: Tomt37
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store