fry in new tank

pakash

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Mexico
Hello guys, i have question if you could help me please:

I just started a 125g tank already cycled, and added a baby african ciclid jalo reef, he keeps hiding the whole time. wont come out, when he does it gets back to his cave inmediatly, he´s really shy. Why, do you think the water current it is so strong for him. Im using a hygger 2150ghp with controller for return pump, and only at 30% of power, im affraid of the current so strong for the baby. Do you think that could be his by himself and a plecostomus in that tank. I have their brothers in another fry tank, his like 2inches already, i wanted to give him a try in the main tank, to see if he gets happy with the size and sorrounding. Anyone please, could tell me what could be wrong, or something.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
How big is the baby? To me he would not be a baby unless he was smaller than 1/2 inch including tail. I would not keep a hap alone in a 125G regardless of his size as I would expect him to hide without other fish to keep him comfortable in a crowd.

Reactions: pakash

pakash

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Mexico
How big is the baby? To me he would not be a baby unless he was smaller than 1/2 inch including tail. I would not keep a hap alone in a 125G regardless of his size as I would expect him to hide without other fish to keep him comfortable in a crowd.
His like 2cm from tail to mouth with a plecostomus

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
He needs other fish to feel comfortable with moving about.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
You need a crowd...depending on whether you are including females, you want 18 cichlids in a 72" tank.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Why not grow him out in a small tank before adding him to the larger fish? Once the fish are 2 inches, they are fine with fully grown adults.

pakash

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Mexico
Why not grow him out in a small tank before adding him to the larger fish? Once the fish are 2 inches, they are fine with fully grown adults.
Thank you all, for you help, and how come my fry is not turning blue or showing stripes, they come for a Jalo Reef Cichlid mom? They are already in a 25g tank for fry. None of them are showing colors, they all look white or pale. I feed the with NLS Pellets crushed.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Haps will show color only if male, and not until they are about 3.5 inches or more. Wait a year or so.

pakash

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Mexico
Haps will show color only if male, and not until they are about 3.5 inches or more. Wait a year or so.
I have another question why do you say HAP, its not a haplochromis they are mbunas my fry cynotilapia afra jalo reef, and one year, so long until they grow, thts so much time and gets me sad.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store