Fry rack with central sump or single tanks?

warhawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2015
Indiana
I'm setting up a few tanks for fry and not sure if I want to set up a sump system or not. I have a rack I built last year with tanks that isn't being used so going to start with this and expand as needed.My goal is to have a place to put my cichlid fry for a a month or so before I move them to grow out tanks.

The rack will hold 9 ten gallon tanks if I set them up a separate tanks with sponge filters in each. This is how I had the tanks setup before when I was doing shrimp and livebearers but honestly water changing was a pain so that is the main reason I'm rethinking it.

If I use the rack with a central sump I can have 8 ten gallon tanks and a 25 gallon as the sump. I will remove one of the bottom tanks and set the sump in the floor. Doing it this way will take less than $100 and 5-6 hours so not a big deal. I would still put sponge filters in every tank but put the heater and additional filters in the sump. I could put a ball valve on the system to drain everything fast and this would save a lot of time with water changes so i can do it 3 or 4 times a week. Having the larger amount of water would make the system more stable and save me from having to heat each tank. But my only worry is having fry sucked into the sump system, but not sure if that is even worth worrying about.

No matter which way I go I won't be using all the tanks to start, I'm thinking 2-4 tanks but I want room to grow as needed.

So what do you think is it worth it to make a central sump or not?

Reactions: GamerChick5567

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I like sumps with fry tanks, that way water changes are simple to do on multiple tanks all at once, and I always add new water to the sump so it has a chance to mix (dechlorinator, temp, different chemical parameters etc) a bit before coming in contact with new, arguably more sensitive, fry.
At times a few will wash overboard, and end up in the sump, but to me seems no big deal.

warhawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2015
Indiana
I like sumps with fry tanks, that way water changes are simple to do on multiple tanks all at once, and I always add new water to the sump so it has a chance to mix (dechlorinator, temp, different chemical parameters etc) a bit before coming in contact with new, arguably more sensitive, fry.
At times a few will wash overboard, and end up in the sump, but to me seems no big deal.
Thanks for the info, that is kinda what I was thinking but I like to get other options.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I have a 30 gallon cube, next to my sump, I use for fry. I put a acrylic 2.5 gallon inside and on top. It fits just inside the top.
Any excapies end up in in the 30 gallon.
2 week fry are in a half gallon inside, the 2.5.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store