Fungus?

ikevi

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
Oregon
So today I woke up to find my Syno with this on his belly. I honestly can't say how long he has had it, since he doesn't show me his belly that often. (It looks like fungus that grows on bark.)

I think it is a fungus though could it be from a heater?

Also he is in my Discus tank, and I noticed today that my discus had labored breathing, and were more shy than normal. (I figure the breathing might also be that I turn off the bubbler at night, which I have today decided not to do anymore, the tank is in the bedroom.)

I put some Maroxy in the tank, and to say that I have good water parameters would be an understatement. (IE as of the last 3 days there has been a 50% water change, and 2 20%...)

Anyways any advice would be appreciated.

ikevi

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
Oregon
Texture is flat with rumples. It is like the tough fungus that is hard to peal off of bark.

Yah there are plants, I thought that they would actually give more O2, but I guess they don't do photosynthesis at night. As for the water changes, well I don't think it has been too much, ie I tend to do a lot with them.

I will give an update when I get home... which will be late tonight.

Nick660

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
South Wales, UK
ikevi;1464812; said:
Texture is flat with rumples. It is like the tough fungus that is hard to peal off of bark.
Hmmm....sounds strange. I would expect fungus on fish to be soft or fuzzy. Doesn't look like scar tissue either from the pics. Maybe it's more like warts, I think I've seen photos of plecs with something similar on here. For what it's worth, I personally don't think it's much to worry about.

ikevi;1464812; said:
Yah there are plants, I thought that they would actually give more O2, but I guess they don't do photosynthesis at night. As for the water changes, well I don't think it has been too much, ie I tend to do a lot with them.
Yea, I believe plants photosynthesize by day using up CO2 and producing O2, then by night they do the opposite during respiration. In a heavily planted tank you're most likely to see the fish gasping at the surface first thing in the morning when O2 will be at it's lowest. So ideally it's best to switch the bubbler off during the day and turn it on at night....not good if the tank is in a bedroom though!

ikevi

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
Oregon
Well I the discus aren't doing a full fledge gasping, though they are still breathing harder than I recall. I obviously will be keeping an eye on them, but well lets hope it isn't much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store