fw ray's and water

sephir420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
this is a general. how important is the ph, gh, and kh as far as normal levels. for example where i live the water is hard and has a high ph close to 8.

cant remember what the hardnes is but its hard. would that be a big problem?

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
umm
if your gunna try go for a more hardy ray (motoro's,hystrix)
with my rays i never checker kh or gh
only ammona ph and the n's

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
Rays are very adaptable to their environment as long as the water quality
is stable. PH of 6-7 are normally taken by rays with no problems at all. Problems
ensues when the PH fluctuates.

I would only stick with hardy species such as motoros and leos with a PH
as high as that. I would acclimate for a few hours and make sure the ph shift
is gruadual. I have even heard of motoros breeding in PH of 8.2!

we have sound

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2005
I think in general stability is something you should be more worried about than the actual readings.

sephir420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
i dont think that stability is going to be a problem with my water chemistry. i have never had a ph swing even in a crouded tank. with the hard water acting like a buffer it tends to prevent the ph change. so im pretty lucky on that end. the reason i asked is i had 2 reticulated ray's (and if this sight existed then i would have consulted you guys) they wouldent eat. they lasted about 3 months and croaked. i was pretty upset. (they where a gift and they are kinda hard to get since they are eligal in utah). i read that they where soft water and more acidic and asumed that thats why they dident make it. now i have read some postes hear i should have kept them dark for a wile till they could adjust.

thank you for the info. :)

also for future reforence can you keep other fish with the ray's?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store