FX-5 Maintenance Thread

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
My two FX canisters do their jobs well but when it comes time to clean them they can be a bit of a pita especially if one is situated in the cabinet underneath the aquarium.How do you all go about getting it done? This thread is a place to share your maintenance and cleaning tips.

freak78

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
Northwest, Indiana
I usually just disconnect it from under the tank and take it to the laundry room for cleaning. I clean all the foam out using tap water. I know what people say about using old tank water to clean it but I've never had a problem. After that I put it all back together and back under the tank.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
I usually just disconnect it from under the tank and take it to the laundry room for cleaning. I clean all the foam out using tap water. I know what people say about using old tank water to clean it but I've never had a problem. After that I put it all back together and back under the tank.
I don't have a fx5 but I clean my canisters with tap water also without any issues.

Reactions: bbortko

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
I think what krich means is how do you move it because they can be very heavy when filled with water. I don't have the fx5 but I do have a fx4 that I got just before Xmas. It's due for it's first maintenance pretty soon. It has a drain tube for draining the water out of it. Does the fx5 have this as well? Is it pretty easy to drain it? My other canisters (fluval 406s) I would disconnect and wrestle out from under the cabinet and take it to the sink to dump out into the sink and clean but they are smaller than the fx4.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I think what krich means is how do you move it because they can be very heavy when filled with water. I don't have the fx5 but I do have a fx4 that I got just before Xmas. It's due for it's first maintenance pretty soon. It has a drain tube for draining the water out of it. Does the fx5 have this as well? Is it pretty easy to drain it? My other canisters (fluval 406s) I would disconnect and wrestle out from under the cabinet and take it to the sink to dump out into the sink and clean but they are smaller than the fx4.
The fives do not have a drain tube and something like that would be neat as I could tgen extend it with a hose and lead it to my floor drain.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
The fives do not have a drain tube and something like that would be neat as I could tgen extend it with a hose and lead it to my floor drain.
I usually just carried mine to the bath tub since it was in the living room. I haven't had mine for over 3 years so I don't know if they've changed but there was a little drain you could attach a hose to, it was to the left of the motor housing.

Reactions: isde02

Preacher

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
west tennessee
I use my python hose to drain the fx5. 1) unplug 2) turn of the water to and from the tank 3) connect the python to the drain plug 4) turn valve on 5) disconnect the hose from the filter 6) let drain complete 7) turn valve off 8) clean with tank water the sponges 8) change the perfilters
To fill back up connect the hose back on filter. Turn on return on first then intake to fill up. I hope this helps.

rsanz85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2016
Montgomery County, MD
I take mine outside and hit it with the hose with the jet stream nozzle to blast off all of the detritus. I'm on well water, so I don't have to worry about chlorine in the hose water. Not sure what I'm gonna do now that it's winter... Probably hit it in the tub.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I have a fx6 and I shut off the hoses, lug it outside, unscrew the 30 or so lid fasteners, dump it, and rinse everything in a 5 gallon bucket of tank water. Mine is easy though, it is in a garage with a concrete slab just sitting next to the tank. I can imagine having it in a cabinet would be a pia.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I suck it up like a man. carry it out and rinse all in old tank water with water draining from the 180. temp out side does not mean anything. job needs to be done. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store