Fx5 noises

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Why is the fx5 making this noise? I recently opened it up and drained a little. Is it because there is not enough water in it?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
air bubbles... it's self priming so it should eventually go away. There should be fixes on how to reduce the noise so that it goes away faster... quick google search.

a quick hint with canisters. If the output tube is empty, you have a better chance at removing a majority of the air in the canister when you power it on.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
air bubbles... it's self priming so it should eventually go away. There should be fixes on how to reduce the noise so that it goes away faster... quick google search.

a quick hint with canisters. If the output tube is empty, you have a better chance at removing a majority of the air in the canister when you power it on.
Output tube was empty, I believe.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
This might be a dumb question, but could the pump be failing? I unplugged it and plugged it back in and within 10 minutes it was making the same noises. It’s the kind of noise that a filter makes when it doesn’t have enough water in it, or is above the water line.

Last edited:

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
The filter needs a couple gallons of water in it before you plug it in to power source.

Are you sure you have the intake and output hoses connected correctly?

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
I am sure. I think it might not have enough water in it - I’ll open it up after sciool

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
When I had FX filters I would fill the can with tank water as full as I could just giving a smidgen of room for the displacement of water due to the lid. Never had any issues.
You also may have some sand or other debris in the pump itself. It comes off with three or four screws. You can take it off and make sure its clear of debris. But the can needs to be empty of water to do this obviously.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
The sand is a possibility. I’ll try taking a peak at the inside water and if that’s not the problem then I’ll drain it and clean it out.

Reactions: Jexnell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store